Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: were 70/71 sport seats leatherette only?

were 70/71 sport seats leatherette only?

2 questions on this topic:

70/71 sport seats- only leatherette? only perforated?

If so, when did leather become available as an option? 72/73? And is 72 when the style of the seat changed? (ignoring the base/locking mechanism changes)
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Leather option goes way back before 911 times. Leather is always perforated on the seating surface, vinyl is not.

Also, perforated for vinyl would be on the bolsters, I have an original set in storage, I'll double check.

Regarding the sport seats changing....well, they really didn't change at all from 69 to 73, so I'm not sure what you're asking. The only change was in the bases with the seat belt interlock in 72, and the double locker for the sliders in very early 73.

Eric

Also, perforated for vinyl would be on the bolsters,
    Eric have you ever heard/ read why that is? What I have understood is it not a good thing that the bolsters are perforated since the moisture eats the foam (appears now that we are 20-30 years later). Perforated center panels make sense because of your body warmth.

Richard

am I wrong or:
    72/73 (leather) sport seat bolsters are not perforated.
    69-71 (leather) sport seat bolsters are perforated.
    Registry member No.773

Two Datapoints

I have original sport seats in a '71 and '73, both vinyl. The '71 has perforated bolsters and basketweave seating, the '73 has no perforations at all.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

the head rests did change post 71MY (peanut vs D shape). Also concur that bolsters were perforated 71MY and earlier -- thus non perforated on 72MY and later MY seats.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971
    am I wrong or:
    72/73 (leather) sport seat bolsters are not perforated.
    69-71 (leather) sport seat bolsters are perforated. (..i just bought a set )
    This is the jist of what I was asking- perforated bolsters vs. non (sorry, should have been more clear)...I guess regardless of year, they can come in leather and vinyl...it was a bit confusing for me b/c I see alot of seats being redone in both and I wasn't sure what the "correct" material was...

Thanks for the info guys
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

When Tony redid these for me, he said that if sport seats came with plaid or houndstooth or other cloth for centers, then there were no perforations on the bolsters. If normal basketweave material, then the bolsters had perforations. Seems reasonable enough, holes with plaid centers would look a little busy.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

My 71 sport seats do have vinyl basketweave centers and perforated leather bolster.

The 1969 accessories folder does show sport seats with plaid cloth centers and perforated leather bolsters:
    Registry member No.773