Thread: Dumb distributor question for 73 MFI

Dumb distributor question for 73 MFI

Hi,

I just had my distributor rebuilt. Looks great, but the rebuilder thought the clips for holding the cap were in the wrong position. On this distributor (the 011 Bosch), there are two possible locations about 20 degrees apart. The picture shows the new location, and the arrow points to the old location (and yes, there are corresponding holes on the far side for both positions).

So is this new way correct, or is the old location correct? Obviously this rotates the cap with respect to the rotor, so the timing will have to be readjusted. In the old position the distributor was pretty much centered on the adjustment bolt, so I don't even new if I have enough travel to make the new position work, but I'd like to know what the correct positioning should be regardless.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

timing will be way off if the clips are in the wrong postion. It the car does not run or runs REALLY bad switch the clip position. It's easy enough to do.

Chris

73 911 E

Similar Threads

1. Dumb Newby Question (and not the last one!)
    By The Watson in forum General Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM
  2. A (possibly dumb) SWT question
    By obrut in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 02:18 AM
  3. dumb oil question - sorry in advance
    By advtracing in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
  4. Dumb question
    By 72targa in forum General Info
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
  5. Probably an incredibly dumb question, but...
    By 72targa in forum General Info
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 06:53 AM