Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine fire update w/ pictures

Engine fire update w/ pictures

Here is an update with pictures.

first tread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=engine+fire
    second tread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=18700

The most damaged part is the rear licenseplate panel. If I sandblast, prime and paint it will it be ok? or is the metal weakened by the fire? i will remove the fan etc to clean inside if there is some leftover powder in there.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

More pictures
    Early 911S Registry #931

more pictures
    Early 911S Registry #931

Well, that's worse than I imagined but better than it could've been. That license plate panel is mostly decorative and already somewhat flimsy. I would try to salvage it. I'm more concerned that you baby the engine and make sure it's brought back to life carefully.

Does the deck lid still close properly?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Peter; yes the alu deck lid closed perfectly. I have removed it for the time being. Could you be more specific on "I'm more concerned that you baby the engine". Do you have any good advice? I will remove the air filters and check all electric connections, then remove sparks to prevent hydro lock, then try to start it. I am quite sure no powder has entered the engine because it seems the engine where already turned off when the powder was applied.

In the last to pictures you can see that there is soot and damage to the paint of the rear "cross bar". I plan to grind of the paint and prime it to prevent rust. The muffler seems fine considering there has been a fire inside it. Its surface rust on the outside of the muffler but I will sandblast it and paint it with heat paint.

The last thing I plan to do is the use WD40 all over the inside of the engine compartment and the engine it selves, rubbing with cotton cloth and a brush, and in this way remove any small powder remaining and at the same time treating the parts with the layer of WD40. I will also remove the fan to check thing and clean the top of the engine und under the fan shroud.

After this do you think I can try a start?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

I'm hardly an expert on this, but if it were me I'd change the oil and inspect the oil that came out; then remove the oil filter and cut it in half for inspection as well. At least this way you'll know for sure the internals are probably ok. Probably a good idea to have someone start the car for you so you can see what's going on back there in case of gas leakage or some weird issue that's hard to see when sitting in the driver's seat turning it over. Good luck with your startup.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Have you ever taken an engine out of a 911? Do you have any knowledgeble friends that can help? It's actually not that hard if you know what to do.

I didn't like seeing the plastic covering the carbs. If it were me, I would take out the engine and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I would make sure that all of fire extinguisher material was gone and that it did not get into anything critical. I completely agree with changing the oil. I would use this as an opportunity to check the fuel lines and spark plug wires.

Take your time. You'll want to do a proper re-paint anyway. Make sure the engine is ready to go before you start it up so that you avoid any search for unobtanium (such as many parts in your engine!). And ask a lot of questions here.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It's not as bad as I had imagined. It looks like the powder is the worst of your problems. Have you spoken with your shipping co. about insurance or some type of compensation? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the car was starting and running fine when it left my home, so someone or something caused this. Your shipper has no idea that you plan to repaint the car and install MFI, so it seems to me that they should be responsible for making this "right".
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

I think that where the fire was is odd...if it was a muffler fire would it not be toasted around the tail pipe/bumper area? not in the center of the rear.
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Like mentioned above you will need to rebuild the carbs, kit's at least to get all of the retardent cleaned out. The oil is probably full of gas if it back fired bad enough to cause a fire is the fuel pump wired to run with the key on if so they probably left the key on and the fuel got pass the needle seat and well we know the rest.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe