Thread: 1972 Viper Green Sunroof Coupe W/ Sportomatic On Ebay - Too Good To Be True...

1972 Viper Green Sunroof Coupe W/ Sportomatic On Ebay - Too Good To Be True...

I saw this car in person last night. Got to know it REAL well as I was with it for over 3 hours. In the dead of night. In the middle of nowhere. It broke down during the test drive and left me stranded ( Didn't have my cell phone with me. The rats had eaten the wires to everything to work the car but the headlights, so no interior lighting. Or brake lights. Or hazard lights... )

This is a perfect example of how something can look like a million bucks on the internet, and its a total piece of shix in person.

The seller seems like a very nice man, but he is now seeing $$$$$ being offered from overseas. He knows muscle cars well, but doesn't know what a Porsche is. I sat him down and offered to share some information on exactly how valuable his car CAN be and inform him of what items on the car were really rare and valuable IF he would change his ebay listing to include what I am going to share with you. He has not edited the listing so...

This car has been hit in the drivers quarter and rear - HARD. Poorly repaired, there is body filler, poor panel gaps, improperly installed panels and trim. The rain gutter has a jog in it and is wavy. Bent and dented metal along the engine compartment opening from the accident.

The car has a completely rusted out rear package shelf. There is a homemade metal panel tacked on covering up a gaping void. The seat buckets are so thin and crispy that if you put too much pressure on them, the metal will fall through.

Poorly repaired/welded front pan. Painted over rust through in front pan and battery boxes.

Signs of fresh black undercoating all over the underside of the car. I wonder what that's hiding?

Non-op sunroof and missing parts to the assembly. NO headliner.

There is paint (not just over spray) on all gaskets and trim. Look closely at the photos and you will not see a black gasket line on the front fenders. Look at the drivers front horn grill. See how it's crooked. I first thought this nice man was an innocent. Far from it. Ask for closeup photos and you will see.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. The good that I saw and did share with the owner....

H1 headlights in like new condition.

Very nice metal S spoiler.

Mint Orange bar crest.

Real RS aluminum and fiberglass rear ducktail.

Cord seat inserts.

Very original switch gear.

Rare Sporto ( 200 made? )

I wanted to share this as I know someone like Bill in Kentucky would be frothing at the mouth if they see it on Ebay. Just be carefull, please.

This car is a good deal at $7,500.00, which is the reserve. But without the above info, a person 1,000 miles away - not smart enough to look at the car, or hire someone to look at the car - will bid this thing up into the $20's or $30's (you reading this Yale?).

Is this the car described as having a "three year bare shell restoration," in Fountain View, CA?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Seller has now added most of the info, but forgot about the front pan/battery box's.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hey John, Its Bill in Ky. Thanks for the heads up about the car. As a huge sporto fan, and an E lover... a few Bourbons and it could have easily been a drunk ebay purchase had you not called my attention to the flaws. I still see your Conda 69E when I close my eyes at night, along with your 2.4 e motor in some other project I have yet to purchase. I trust you found the 914-6 case you were looking for? The guy from Bowling Green called me back about the 71S, truth is stranger than fiction. John... is the e still available? Hope all is well with everybody out there- Bill
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

I am glad to see the seller post the notes. I knewhe was a good guy.

Bill, the 2.4 E motor is sold. The '70 Conda is still here. We are currently replacing metal. Give me a call.