Thread: What do you think?

What do you think?

This car isnt listed here, but I am thinking of purchasing if the PPI checks out. I would like to dig into the vast experience of this forum to disect the car and being very critical of everything that "looks" wrong with it. The owner looks to have documented the car well (showing all gaps, etc). I am only looking for a weekend driver, but would prefer something as close to original as I can get. Obviously the steering wheel and exhaust are not correct. First thing I would do if I buy it is to put on an optional OEM wood wheel. Does the engine cover grill look gold to everyone? I thought they were supposed to be silver?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=384985

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jetdriver,
    It looks like a nice SWB car at a fair price considering today's prices. It's a 911L model which is the '68 American version of a '68S. It lacks the great S motor but all else on the car is the same as an S. So, I'd value it somewhere in between an S and a T...but with a little more emphasis on the S. I'd definitely have the PPI done that you are planning. You could find a number of early SWB 911s out there that need lots of work for less than this car's price...but you would be upside down to get them to the condition of this car assuming the PPI checks out. I havent' studied it in detail, but at first glance it appears to have most if not all of the correct 911L exterior and interior trim is correct...and much of it is exclusive to the '68L & S. If you like the color and the PPI checks out...and you want a SWB car vs. a LWB '69-73 car...I'd definitely work with the owner come up with a price that suits both of you. b.t.w. The panel gaps look great.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Rich
    '67S
    '73S

Looks decent for the money......
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

It looks like a nice car. I don't think that the engine lid grille is gold, it looks to be a faded plastic grille from a mid-year or later car to me. not critical, but perhaps not correct. Easy to remedy though.

regards,

al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Looks decent for the money......
    + 1

It has a rare Sunroof, prof. restored. Should/ could be a very nice weekend driver which is hard to find/ copy for that price.

Richard

Just a minor point.....isn't that headlight switch mounted in the wrong dash hole? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Looks like a good car for a good price.

The 2 Cents PPI from the peanut gallery

Jet:

Don't worry about a wood wheel just yet. You're gettin' the cart before the horse. You may call a bolter. Patience is the word for today.

A few holes in the bottom from either seat belts or a roll bar?

The gas tank is crushed on the bottom. It looks like it might have found something in the road (or a ditch). Look at the pattern from front to back.

I see what appears to be rust on the area above the left control arm (wheel housing to front pan area). And the rivets in the pan have me vexed.

Why do the rear pans shown under the carpets look different on the right and left? I would like to have seen the area in the drivers footwell.

This fellow seems to be up front but if they replaced a door and fenders and "pan" I'd be cautious as he also states rust is coming through in the rear window area. Clogged sunroof drains are a good candidate for causing this.

Take an ice pick with you. Poke gently but firmly.

Good luck; could be a fun little car.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111