Thread: '73T three minor problems I could use some help with

'73T three minor problems I could use some help with

Still learning and gaining confidence on working on the car. I'm down to three minor but annoying problems that I'm sure are unrelated but on the electrical side of the house. If I knew where and how to start troubleshooting I'd attack them. So any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

First, Fuel gauge does not read accurately. It's always low to near empty. The low fuel light does register properly but the needle while it may move a little is not working properly. I replaced the fuel sender last weekend with a brand new one (the connector looked clean) but no change.

Second, The Tach goes crazy at times. On yesterdays drive it alternated from reading accurately and steady to bouncing like crazy, to reading low, to flat out not reading anything. Couldn't correlate this to road surface, speed or anything really. The connection to the distributor is fine.

Third, The fresh air blower doesn't work. I looked under the dash and everything appears to be connected properly and the fuse is not blown. I cleaned the contacts and replaced it just in case. So where to look next. I was hoping to get into the blower assembly only as a last resort.
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

Quote Originally Posted by kilodawg

Second, The Tach goes crazy at times. On yesterdays drive it alternated from reading accurately and steady to bouncing like crazy, to reading low, to flat out not reading anything. Couldn't correlate this to road surface, speed or anything really. The connection to the distributor is fine.
    I've experienced the same issue with my '72T. Solution was to check and adjust (or replace) the ignition points.

You can refer to this earlier thread for more information....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=tach
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

My bouncing tach needle was resolved by cleaning the groundstrap connection at the transmission.
    Alan
    '68 912

I had similar problems with my '71. The solution? Removing all of the fuses, thoroughly cleaning the fuse box with a brass wire brush and vinegar, followed with new fuses. I did this for both fuse boxes (front trunk and engine compartment by the CD).

As above, I also removed the ground strap by the transmission and cleaned it in the same manner.

Simple and inexpensive, and it solved my problems.

Good luck.

John

Also remove, clean, and reattach the tach wire from the distributor - Black wire with purple stringer.

Hope any or all of this helps....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Everything up this point is 100% accurate.

Here are my suggestions. Please take them with a grain of salt. That is to say; "smell what I am spreading".

#1 carry a stick and flashlight to check fuel level. If you do not have a flashlight do not use a match unless the insurance is paid up.

#2 Don't pay attention to the tach. The car will let you know when it's ready to shift by scattering parts on the road at which point the shop can fix the tach.

#3 roll down the windows. Go buy some stick on gutter guards like I have on my pickup truck. Wonderful things in the rain.

Best of luck with your new toy!!!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111