Thread: So Excited About My Softie

So Excited About My Softie

Hee Hee, please pardon the headline humor.

My new 67 S Targa arrived two nights ago. The transport company said they would be at my house at 5:30pm, and when they weren't there at 7:00pm I was pacing like a caged cat and cursing their ancestors. The dispatcher called at 8:00pm and said "My brother will be there in an hour."

I let it warm up and took it for a little drive about 5 exits up the freeway, then back on surface streets. At first I was comparing with my 2000 Boxster S, and I was taken aback at the "oldness". I don't mean that in any derogatory or bad way, just that Porsches have become bigger, smoother, more comfortable, quieter and generally more electronic since the mid 60's. I'm glad my wife didn't make me sell the Boxster as she first threatened as a condition for buying the Softie, since there is a place in my life for both.

Back to my impressions:

A. I am amazed at how familiar it feels. I have not previously driven a 911 older than a 1980 model ever, and the only short wheelbase longhood I have any experience with is my friend's dad's '68 912 when I was in high school. Changing lanes and freeway on ramps feel very similar whether you are in my car, a 1980 SC or an 1985 930. The dna is there through the whole air cooled line.

B. 1967 2.0L S models are surprisingly quick. I've only really run up to about 6k rpms in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but WHAT FUN!!!

C. Air cooled sounds are better than water cooled sounds. My Boxster has stock intake and exhaust, so that might make a difference, but the carb sound has it beat by a mile.

D. I've bought my dream car, but that isn't really the end of the story. Attaining that goal is only the beginning of what looks to be a great journey of getting to know my new car, and making everything perfect, which brings me to:

E. Beware of permission to buy your dream car in "Great Driver" condition. Now I want to make everything perfect, and my car permission slip has been suspended indefinitely. There will be no $12k paint job or $6k correct wheels in my immediate future.

So, lets see if I can post a pic or two. These are the dealer pics he emailed me pre purchase.

Cheers to all. Anybody in the Pacific NW that is going to any Porsche events, or who wants to meet up for a beer and talk cars, email me at speedyellowster@gmail.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Wow. Pretty Softie. Very nice!

Welcome to the group and to ownership of an Early 911. Got questions about your new car? Plenty of answers here.

I'd also suggest you create a signature and add at least your first name. Makes it a lot easier to communicate and we won't have to call you Mr. Softie which tends to sound a little light in the lifters.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Congratulations

Congrats on the new acquisition. I know how excited you are and identify with the wanting to make perfect phenom.

I recently bought a 68 softie (normal) and it is now in for the expensive paint job, etc. Enjoy getting to know the new baby!!

Jason

Congratiulations as well on your new car. I remember it was advertised here in Germany and Austria as well for some time. It looks great but there are several things inside and outside which are not correct for a 67S, but I guess you already know that.
    It is a rare model and I wish you lots of fun with it.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

nicely done

great looking car there.

"...the carb sound has it beat by a mile." Remove your air box for a run and you will really experience the best of the sound.

Nice car. Welcome. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Congrats on the new car. She sure is purty. And also welcome to the slippery slope of long hood ownership. There is always something to spend money on. She sure will look even better when you get those 4.5 Fuchs.

And I can totally understand your pacing like a caged cat. When I was waiting for my car, the transport company was not just hours late, but a couple of days later than expected. Imagine the anticipation! When she first rolled onto the street in front of my house, warts and all... And then when i fired her up for the first drive. Life is good - and this from a lowly T.

Welcome to the board. You will find answers to the many questions you have not yet even thought of. There are MANY knowledgeable people that always very willing to share what they know. Great group of kindred spirits.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Thanks for the well wishes. I look forward to some fun times with both my car and this board.
    Brad Larson

I don't blame you. I'd be excited about my softie if I had that car in my garage!
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

Brad,

Cool car, I can see why you are so excited !!

When will you ever get a chance to use the softie in Portland though?
    Doesn't it rain like 10 mos out of the year there?
    Trust me, I know all about it, spent 18 years there.

You are in good company in PDX w/ Jeff Smith, Tom Fender, Steve Barragar,
    Earl Green, Joe Barnes & the rest of the boyz. All really cool, hardcore early 911 people.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

38 and raining today, but my first two drives (Monday and Tuesday) were sans top and rear window.

Thanks for the names of some other webfoot brothers from the board. My wife and I have taken over our regional PCA monthly dinner meetings. Hope to see some people from Early 911S Registry at those Wednesday meetings. We have some fun ideas cooking.

BTW, if anybody wants to give me an excuse to check out Francis Ford Coppola's 67S Coupe, here in Puddletown and currently listed on eBay, send me an email. I make no claims of expertise, but I would love to give you the hands on run down, if that is helpful.
    Brad Larson