Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra instrument wire, non S guages?

Extra instrument wire, non S guages?

Guys,

So I am wiring up the insturments on a 1969 Non S guage car. Then I find that I have an extra wire between the fuel and temp. guages. At least I think that it is an extra wire because I can not find a bare terminal on either guage to plug it in. The wire is blue with yellow spiral stripes and the female connector has a blue/yellow wire into the female connector and a blue/yellow out. So it has to be a daisy chain connector that loops more than one guage into the same circuit. The blue/yellow wire runs from the pax side of the fuel level guage connection to the open female connector and then on to the handbrake/temp guage.

But I can not find a bare male connector. The red low fuel light lights and the fuel level guage moves when I tilt the fuel level sender. The white light comes on with the handbrake up and the green/red engine lights come on. Is possible that there is an extra wire is in the harness for one of the "S" type guages (like maybe the oil level guage?) and therefore is not used in a non "S" car. Or have I not been looking hard enough?

I'm going back to garage and look again. Thanks

John

John looks light the blue/yellow is 15 (ign on) so probably turns the gauge "on" does it have the oil presure/level gauge??

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...rical_1965.jpg
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Hey Tony,

Great to hear from you. Hope that you have most of your fingers and toes down there in Louisville and that you haven't frozen too many off.

I am wiring up my 69 912 so it does not have the oil level and oil pressure gauge, just the green idiot light for oil pressure.

Extra bit of info: I have an extra set of 912 gauges that I took out of a completely trashed 69 912. As I took out the gauges, I cut the wires behind each gauge rather than unplug the wire. My thinking was to have a reference gauge that would show exactly which wire went where. The gauges from the trashed car seem to also have the same extra female bridging connector plugged into nowhere.

I have not started the engine yet so unless I purposely ground the engine temp sensor wire, I will not know if that gauge works. That's my next project.
    John
    73 S with sporto and 69 912 in rehab.

John

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Hey John,

I picked up a '69 912 too! Irish green coupe. What a cool car, I had no idea they were so much fun. The 12 is the new T!

I don't have mine here to look at for reference, but is is an S gauge car.

Welcome to the 73S/69-12 club!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Hello Jared,
    Mine is Irish Green also; intended to duplicate the Irish Green 69 912 I bought two days after becoming an AF second lieutenant in 1969.

I have a motel room type heater/AC unit in the garage wall but have turned it off for the evening. So now it is too cold to go out there and play. But later this week I will be working to figure out why the dash lights do not work in the fuel gauge. Maybe I will figure out where the extra wire goes then.

Good to hear from you.

John

extra wire non s gauge

Hi John, you've got it analyzed correctly, too many wires, and not enough gauges! Have you grounded the gauge unit you're trying the lights on? Or just use a temporary jumper to ground the light bulb socket, that'll tell you if the circuit is even working. "lets see, if I were an electron where would I want to go" Seems like someone said that once!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

Don't make me come down to Texas to buy you a round of sarsparilla for being so helpful!!

I am slowly working the recalcitrant light problem back into shape. My current problem is an outgrowth of my usual problem: Everytime I take something apart, when I finish, I have a couple extra parts left over. This time it is the extra female connector with two wires coming out. I am hoping that the harness is dual purpose for S gauge cars and that the extra connector is for either an oil pressure or oil temp gauge. As things stand now, all the gauges work fine.

John

Quote Originally Posted by caproader

Everytime I take something apart, when I finish, I have a couple extra parts left over.

That's called profit...
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

extra instrument wire non S gauges

I fear I may have been too subtle here, I was trying to say you are correct in that the harness would contain wires for all possible gauges, and you will have the extra power lead for the gauge you don't have. Usually Porsche will use a slightly longer piece of heat shrink on that bayonet end so that it can't possibly ground out, then if you ever do need that wire all you do is trim off the excess so you can plug it on. (much neater than black tape) For example, there are always wires for a sportomatic application in the harness. Some people I know actually have those.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,
    Thanks for the thoughts. I just wanted to be sure that my 'one harness fits all' guess was correct.
    Having studied at the Charlie Brown school of "I'm never so dumb as when I'm trying to be smart", it helps to get a second opinion.

John