Thread: 73s USA builds pre-wired for rear fog?

73s USA builds pre-wired for rear fog?

The car was factory built with the optional thru-the-grill fogs. Would that also include a wire in left rear quarter for the fog lamp? If so, would it be in the sub-harness which runs to left rear lights?

Thanks
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

On both my cars the wire for the rear fog is to be found under the left rear bumper, in the harness for the taillight. Look behind the taillight and you will see it right away. BTW non of my cars where ordered with TTG fogs.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Thank you John

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

FWIW, my 1973.5T appears to have the harness for the rear fog lamp in the expected location.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD
    Rick,

FWIW, my 1973.5T appears to have the harness for the rear fog lamp in the expected location.
    Fantastic Harry - nothing like independent confirmation. I am in the middle of remodeling our kitchen, and the temp in the garage is about 27 degrees, so this project will wait just a couple of weeks.

Next question tho - even if the rear wire is hooked-up, where does it appear again near the fuse panels? Or does it already attach to the front fog light relay? I have read previously that the fog switch would click to one side to activate and reverse the motion to deactivate the rear fog. My switch does not have this ability.

"Inquiring minds want to know"

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    Fantastic Harry - nothing like independent confirmation. I am in the middle of remodeling our kitchen, and the temp in the garage is about 27 degrees, so this project will wait just a couple of weeks.

Next question tho - even if the rear wire is hooked-up, where does it appear again near the fuse panels? Or does it already attach to the front fog light relay? I have read previously that the fog switch would click to one side to activate and reverse the motion to deactivate the rear fog. My switch does not have this ability.

"Inquiring minds want to know"
    Rick,

My car does not currently have fog lights (no factory switch on the dash).

Looking at the 73 wiring diagram at Pelican Parts, They do not show the Fog Lamp Switch or only a connection from the front fogs to Fuse #8 in the lower box. They do show a green and white wire coming from the rear fog lamp connector and terminating in space somewhere behind the instrument panel.

My harness near the base of the fuse block is in very sad shape. I do not recall any "extra" wires in this location. I looked again and there are two wires coming off it but they are burned and dissappear into the harness. No time for more forensics but I suspect a PO may have had fog lights installed as I have front fog lamp brackets with no lamps and an extra toggle switch on the dashboard.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Harry - muchos gracias for the forensics (my condolences to your burnt wires - been there before on a 72 targa - aftermarket alarm powered from the clock hot lead by the PO!) and wiring diagram on Pelican will be helpful.

Edit: Looking at the diagram I see how the green and white wire runs from the back of the car and terminates behind the dash. My strategy will be to place a factory switch in precut hole in the dash next to the fog light switch. I will run the terminating wire to the switch, run a ground wire from the switch, and then connect the hot wire from the #8 fuse to the back of the switch.

Appreciate your reply,

Regards,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    Harry - muchos gracias for the forensics (my condolences to your burnt wires - been there before on a 72 targa - aftermarket alarm powered from the clock hot lead by the PO!) and wiring diagram on Pelican will be helpful.

Edit: Looking at the diagram I see how the green and white wire runs from the back of the car and terminates behind the dash. My strategy will be to place a factory switch in precut hole in the dash next to the fog light switch. I will run the terminating wire to the switch, run a ground wire from the switch, and then connect the hot wire from the #8 fuse to the back of the switch.

Appreciate your reply,

Regards,
    Rick
    Rick,

I am confused. The bulb is grounded at the tail of the car.

Assuming fuse #8 is already switched and serving the front fogs, all you need to do is run a Red wire from Fuse #8 to the Rear Fog Lamp Switch and connect the Green/white wire to the other side.

If you think a relay is needed (I doubt it), connect the red wire from fuse #8 to both the switch and pole #30 of the relay. Connect the other side of the switch to pole #86 of the relay and ground pole #85. Connect pole #87 to the green/white wire to energize the light.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Harry, your confusion will save me a couple of steps! Will skip the relay too.

Thanks for the advice.