Thread: Muffler skirt

Muffler skirt

I would like to get some input re. the factory muffler skirt.

a. are the side pieies different for SWB and LWB? How to tell what I have?
    b. is the center part the same for both SWB and LWB, part no. 901.505.057

I will have a NOS Left side skirt (SWB or LWB?) still in factory plastic available for a swap deal. I will need either a right side or a set for a SWB.

Richard

I have an extra right side and need a LWB left..

Call me and we can trade..(310) 456-8833 Jeff

Hi Richard

From an older post:

Super rare NOS (in the Porsche plastic), 3 piece muffler skirt for a short wheel base 911. 65-68. These are a little bit longer than the LWB ones, to accomodate the slightly longer SWB bumpers.

they attach by slipping a lip over the factory valence, then drilling up through the valance and attaching with tiny ss sheet metal screws. they were listed in the 71-72 accessory catalog as 'muffler skirts' and sold for $75 from the dealers.

the same as option 427 = Rear embellisher under bumper

LWB part # 901 505 904 00

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

These are a little bit longer than the LWB ones, to accomodate the slightly longer SWB bumpers.
    Thanks John. Would you happen to know the resp. lengths? What is a 'little bit'?

Regards,

Richard

Sorry, I do not know, but read in one of the old post that the difference si approx. 2". I think if you compare the LWB bumper with the SWB bumper that would give you some idea. You can also have one of the member with a skirt meassure for you? I think I remeber that "Hester" 911 S has a skirt and that is a LWB.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

It all worked out

There has been some commotion/ misunderstanding re. the muffler skirt swap. Earlier today I received an email from Jeff/ Execmalibu that he received the left NOS skirt as agreed. I received a right NOS skirt from him.

So this is closed. I am happy that I have a complete NOS SWB set and I think for Jeff applies the same.

Richard

BTW the difference between a SWB and LWB skirt is the lip at the wheel side. LWBs skirts don't have that lip.

I saw Jeff in LA over the lit meet weekend, and told him you were a good guy Richard..... (I lied a "little").....

I still need a drivers side muffler skirt piece for a LWB car.

thanks,
    Eric