Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST pictures/information sought (Long)

ST pictures/information sought (Long)

Hello Board members,

A restoration has begun by Mark Allin on a '72 2.5 ST chassis no. 911 230 0495. Engine no. 6622021. We are trying to find any period pictures or information on this car that might help with the restoration. Here is what I know so far.

According to a letter from Rolf Sprenger the car was sold to a european "competition customer" and was "not a rallye car but a competition car". Acording to a letter from Jurgen Barth the vehicle was "delivered to be used by the factory in April 1972 as a 2.5 litre 911 S in racing version with the following original production data:"

Engine no. 662 2021
    color: Light yellow
    Interior: Black leatherette
    Optional Equipment: M491 Racing specifications

The car was brought over from Europe and purchased by Vasek Polak in the late 70's. According to Carl Thompson the ST was bought along with another car (a 917) but Carl was not able to tell me the sellers name from Europe.

While in the US the car was driven once in a vintage race by Danny Ongais at Palm Springs. Vasek had planned to run the car in the Carrera Panamericana but Vasek's ill health prevented this.

During Vasek's ownership the ST's color changed from light yellow to white. Also added to the car was a '73RSR front bumper, 907 front oil cooler, a repro ducktail.

There is evidence of an RS/RSR Carrera script on the sides when the car was yellow. We haven't stripped the paint yet so I don't have any more body details or potential clues.

A fellow Board member discovered that it may have been owned by Zasada at some point. It does have some rally modification that were most likely done when the car was sold by Porsche. However the car's condition indicates that it may have been a practice car or a second car. It wasn't trashed, crashed hard or heavily modified like most rally cars of the day. It still has the original engine case.

So I guess there might be pictures of a yellow ST with Carrera graphics (or without) in the early '70s somewhere. Any photos or history would be helpful, even US pictures with Mr. Ongais behind the wheel.

How about a european sounce that has race records/ data with chassis numbers? Any leads would be much appreciated.

Thank you all very much.

Matt Blast

Matt:

Is this the Vasek ST you are referring to? These pix have been around on several threads, but it is a beginning and it may remind someone else about other pix they have of it before it was painted white.

Gib Bosworth
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Matt,

These are the 2 that best match the info provided. Many of my photos are B&W so light car may or may not be yellow. As you get more data their are many on the board who have ST data archived. Hope you find some good data.

BTW post some photos of the project as it moves along.

Regards
    Bob Aines

Gib,
    Thanks for posting the photos. Yes I've seen them. Thats the car. Those pictures were taken at NHIS in Loudon NH about 5 years ago by Jens. Thats pretty much the way the car looked when I bought it in '98.

Bob,
    I've not seen the Veedol car before. Do you know anything about the car/driver(Meyer)? Its a possibility. Mark Mentioned that he will photo document the restoration of the car and post photos.

Thank you both,
    Matt

Matt.
    From pictures provided to me by Rick Cabell. Your car,, on the rear crossmember, behind the rear panel, has the identical weld-in's for an engine guard as in my 72'S 2.5, which was prepared for rallye competion by the Factory.

Robert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Robert,

The welded mounts for the engine guard appear to be a factory modification. There are also reinforced side jacking areas, reinforced rear anti-swaybar mounts. There is a horn button on the passenger floor (loud).These mods could also have been done by the factory and would have been done for a factory built rallye car.

However the letter from Rolf Sprenger indictes that the car was not built as a rallye car but a competition car. This is why I think its possible the rallye mods were done after the car was bought from Porsche. Jurgen Barth condradicts this somewhat when he says it was delivered to be used by the factory. So I don't know for certain who did the rallye mods.

Thanks,
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Could you post some photos of the engine guard and reinforced sway bar mounts? I am curious what they look like. TIA
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian,
    I don't have access to the car right now for pictures. I'll get some details as the restoration progresses.

Varunan,
    The Carrerra script on my car is very hard to see throught the white paint. We will see when it is stripped. The reverse script should be easy to detect.

My engine was originally the 911/70 long stroke 2.5. and was complete and original when I bought the car. The motor was rebuilt on a 7R case and the original case is on a shelf. All the original internal engine parts are there. It came from Vasek with the High Butterflies and a Bosch race pump. The High Butterflies were 43mm and were attached to 41mm heads which I don't think the factory would have done. The High Butterflies were a Vasek kit and not built by the factory so I don't know what happened to the original induction.

The fenders are original ST 9"front and 10" rear all steel. The rear arches have been rolled so it is likely that they had 11" Fuchs at some point. The left front fender was replaced after the Palm Springs event due to a minor shunt. The left and right rear bumpers are steel with the aluminum center piece.

I don't have the car here to look at the ID plate for the production date but it is late '71 as I recall. This would have been an early 2.5 because the longstroke was replaced by the shortstroke at some point in '72 The paperwork indictes that it was delivered to "a racing customer" in April '72.The Jurgen Barth letter and the Rolf Sprenger letter both state it is a M491 option car. I would be happy to fax anyone these letters if it would help in the research.

Thanks, Matt

Matt

here are a couple of pictures of yellow cars that may or may not be 1972 ST's
    They look like they might be (silver trim etc) but I cant see oil door or even if i could there is no way of knowing if they are genuine cars or someone's build ups.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks for the pictures Hugh. The BP sponsored car looks good. Any thoughts on the colors of the Veedol sponsored car. It doesn't quite look like a Light Yellow...more like Signal yellow, but it could be the lighting.

Matt