Thread: Question about deep 6's

Question about deep 6's

I noticed when taking off my deep 6's a few days ago and switching to Minilites that the date stamps on them were 7/68. So that got me thinking...
    If Fuchs was making deep 6's in 7/68, were some of the late 68S model year cars fitted with deep 6's instead of 5.5's?
    Perhaps Porsche offered the extra wide (1/2") Fuchs as a special order option?
    I know that the 69S came with deep 6's as standard. But the 1969 model year and 1969 911S would not have started rolling off the production line until the fall of 68 after summer vacation (i.e. Aug/Sept 68). I also know that the 911R came with deep 6's up front. But again, there were only 25 or so 911R's made. So does that mean Fuchs did a limited production run of say 50-100 wheels just for the 911R and my wheels are som leftovers from that production run?

About regular steelies I have learned that production month can be up to 3 months before delivery date. In other words an Aug delivered Porsche can have steelies from June, July or August. Same for gauges and other date stamped parts. Is this different for Fuchs rims?

Also would I think that due to production run times and holiday season rims were made in advance. It's well known that Porsche pulled off the shelves instead of just-in-time delivery.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    If Fuchs was making deep 6's in 7/68, were some of the late 68S model year cars fitted with deep 6's instead of 5.5's?

I know that the 69S came with deep 6's as standard. But the 1969 model year and 1969 911S would not have started rolling off the production line until the fall of 68 after summer vacation (i.e. Aug/Sept 68).
    It's only a one month difference. To start production in Aug 68 (69MY) they would have needed supply in stock prior to leaving on their break. The orders placed by Porsche for the 6 in Fuch would have been placed well ahead of that. I don't think it's out of the ordinary.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,
    I understand that there is only a one month difference between my wheels and the beginning of the 69 model year production. I guess the more pertinent question is when did the prduction of deep 6's beginn by Fuchs? Assuming my 7/68 wheels were not the first first ones off the line, it seems possible that deep 6's were available a few months before this even which would put their production further into the middle of the Porsche factory's 1968 model year.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Michael,
    Assuming my 7/68 wheels were not the first first ones off the line, it seems possible that deep 6's were available a few months before this even which would put their production further into the middle of the Porsche factory's 1968 model year.
    Definitely. The first sixes were made from 5.5 blanks and some were inked with a different number for the R during the 68 run. So based on that alone the R would have used a minimum of 40 6 in wheels delivered, add replacements, racing stock etc. A good marker might be "when was the first R delivered?" or better yet, "what was on the R prototypes and those "finished" dates?"

I wonder how many wheels Fuchs could have cranked out a month? Porsche would have been cranking a fair number of cars out/per day. One thing I've always wondered was how long from the start of the first 69 car was started until it rolled off the line? They obviously couldn't have been rolling cars off immediately after the break unless they actually started the 69 production just before the break. Especially with prepping and painting bodies, building and testing engines, etc. Quite possible that the common conception of MY production start was in reality mearly the result of finishing the first car of the coming MY immediately upon returning from the break. I'm sure I've read how long it took to build a 911 from start to finish but, I've obviously forgotten.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

yea yea yea blah blah blay yadda yadda yadda/ u no someone worked at Porsche and designed these things and decided to go to 6 wide wheels and had to communicate with Fuchs as a supplier yadda yadda so would someone pls tell us when u designed the 6 wide wheel etc etc and when it went into production this is not WW2 you are still alive and kicking anyone
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser