Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these '70-71 or '72-73 sport seats?

Are these '70-71 or '72-73 sport seats?

I think these are '70-71 type sport seats. If so, then I will be selling or trading them for '72-73 sport seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

e) None of the above

Those are 1968 seats and tip brackets, or they could also be the ones that Recaro marketed to the aftermarket for several years.

regards,
    Eric

If these are '68 seats, then should they have headrests?

probably, US cars were required to have headrests starting in the 68 model year. Not sure about rest of world cars.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlonghood
    If these are '68 seats, then should they have headrests?
    The seats have holes in them for the headrests......and Brian is right, the DOT codes for 1968 was for the US to mandate headrests (I would guess there are some early non headrest cars...). Also not sure of ROW.

Eric
    sport seat police....

Are the sport seats from 70-73 the same other than the bracket in 73? I thought they were for the LWB cars. -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa
    Are the sport seats from 70-73 the same other than the bracket in 73? I thought they were for the LWB cars. -Scott
    I was under the impression that the mechanisms were slightly different (i.e. chrome screws, tilt latch, etc.).

Please educate...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

From 1969 to 1973 the sport seats are essentially the same. In 1973 you saw the use of the peanut style headrest in addition to the D shape.

For the tip brackets, they are still "essentially" the same.

2 to 3 changes that occurred in 72 and 73:

1) in 1972 in the US market we got a seatbelt warning lockout, this consisted of a different seatbelt receiver with a couple of wires coming out of it, and the wiring loom was attached with clips to the tip bracket in a couple of places before it wound it's way up into the seat.

2) About a month into the 1973 MY the tip brackets got a "double locker" on the slider rails, presumably for DOT safety purposes, this consisted of a thin bar that went across from one slider to the other to then have 2 points of contact of the slider locker (one on each side).

3) Sometime in 1972... the precursor to the 1973 "double locker" occurred in the form of a "bracket" (for lack of a better word) that was on the other side from the single locker. This bracket ultimately became part of the double locker mechanism that showed up in 1973, it held the trigger finger for the double locker.

I know it would be helpful to have pics of all of this but honestly, it's not really that big of a deal... and fighteningly anal. For my own purposes... the sport seats are either "early" (67/68), or "late" (69 to 73). Yes, I suppose a full concours 73 car "should" have a double locker slider, but I don't think that there are many judges who know the difference at the PCA club level in terms of judging.

Eric

I can't be certain from the pictures posted but the side hinges look to be chrome which would make them aftermarket seats (I have had a few sets like that which from BMW 2002's).
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

The hinges are chrome and both seats appear to be driver's side - I know that these early seats are not driver vs. passenger specific. They only came set up for the driver's side. These tilt up bases, however, are specific for each side with the lever out towards the door opening.

I took a standard '72 side hinge plate, and the holes appear to line up with the chrome set of hinges. There is an extra screw on the '72 on the bottom of the "L" that the chrome hinge does not have. I think that it is possible to modify the seat back release mechanism and make the black hinge work. If this is the case, can we assume that it is possible to make BMW sport seats look like Porsche sport seats? Or is it different as these are period Recaro aftermarket seats?

I think that I am worring too much about all these little details, but it might be nice for those that are curious. Does anyone have a set of '72/73 sport seats they would like to work out a trade for these?