Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I find out...

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar

Unhappy How do I find out...

Okay, dummy question of the day: how do I find out the name of the Dealer where my 911 first was sold?

Yesterday I received my COA from Porsche but that doesn't tell me where my car originally sold in 1968. I'd love to have a license plate frame for the correct Dealer, but which one?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Restoration newbie.
    Marc Noack could tell you. One of the recent posts suggested that
    his service is still available.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My '69 was bought from a dealership in Bremen, Germany. I've still got the little service record book with the original owners name in it. They still exist. I emailed them a couple weeks ago to see if they had any service records or info on the original owner. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I didn't here back from them. I was disappointed. I'd hoped they'd think it was cool that a car they sold nearly 40 years ago was still running and fully restored.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

One of the largest dealers in Germany back then I belive was Raffey in Hamburg. I talked to them a couple of years ago about a 911 I had, it was bought new at Raffey in 72. They told me all records older then 20 years(I think it was) had been destroyed. I belive many other dealers in Germany might have done the same

I found out who the dealer that sold the car new, trough the Norwegian main Porsche dealer. I think they got it from the factory in Germany by request.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Partial answer...

Well I contacted Marc Noack in Stuttgart and he replied:

"Hallo Andy, das Fahrzeug wurde an POAC,Teaneck New Jersey geliefert."

English translation: (your) car was delivered to POAC in Teaneck, New Jersey. The town of Teaneck is directly across the Hudson River from New York City, NY.

I asked Marc if he had any additional info but he replied that was all he had in his records. My deep thanks to Marc for his assistance -- I now know this was a USA car and where it was originally received from the factory.

So now I know that the factory delivered 11835153 to Porsche of America at Teaneck, NJ. But how do I find out which U.S. Dealer received the car from POAC and sold it to the first Owner?

Is it possible that Stoddard Imported Cars is the original Dealer for my car? Didn't they have the Teaneck, NJ location in the 1960s?

The mystery continues...

Best Regards,
    Andy
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

teneck

Teneck was the importer,distributor;no dealership there before pcna

And the home of the Isley Brothers...

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Chuck Stoddard and Ernie Isley...

I found this in a quick web search at http://www.stoddard.com/about_us.shtml:

The dealership financially matured to prosper on only top-quality cars with long-term import potential. SIC invested in 4.5 acres of commercial real property, and Chuck designed and built its buildings, which were gradually increased and expanded to over 45,000 sq. ft. during succeeding years. Alfa Romeo then outsold Porsche, and by the late '60's the Porsche of America Corp. (PoA) in Teaneck, NJ was established. The SIC franchises were pared down to Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes Benz and Volvo. Audi's USA introduction was in 1969. Finally, in the early '70's the SIC franchises were Porsche, Audi and Mercedes Benz. At the end of 1969, Porsche AG dissolved PoA, as well as announced the mid-engine 914.
    So... after reading that... back in 1968, was Stoddard Imported Cars (SIC) = Porsche of America Corp. (POA) in Teaneck, NJ?

Tom: You got it: Ernie Isley is one great Strat player, with his signature "Climbin' Up The Ladder" and "(Who's) That Lady?" sustained lead guitar sound. Good catch!

Best Regards,
    Andy
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Andy.

What you could do to try to find out who the dealer is that sold your car first, is to contact Mark again and ask him who the dealer was that did the first warranty claim on it (if any). Those claims most of the time took place w/i the first year and most often is that the original dealer. Even by tourist delivered cars.

BTW the guitar sound of Ernie Isley in "(Who's) That Lady?" is indeed stunning and motivates to push the gas pedal a few notches deeper ..

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that, a good idea. I don't want to pester Marc though -- so I'll try calling PCNA first.

I remember listening to Ernie Isley in a mid-1970s Chevy Camaro through my buddy's Craig stereo system with Jensen Co-ax speakers (we couldn't afford the Jensen Tri-ax 6x9 speakers). But the best crusing music had to be the group Boston and their tune "More than a Feeling" cranked up to top volume.

Best Regards,
    Andty
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"