Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Confused again

I'm Confused again

snip...a lightweight 911L not to be confused with a USA L. These were homoligated for gruppe 2 and the lightweight T aka TR was gruppe 3. ....snip

I thought the L was marketed only for the US? Was it the L that was homologated in 68 or the S which we didn't have? Did Porsche actually homologate a detuned version with the smog pump?

I understand the differences between the S and L of 68 but, I had never heard of the L homologation. I would understand a special order with factory rallye/liteweight options.

This is honest curiosity, I've never read of this before that I remember.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

A common misconception...

Hi Michael,

Kind of like 914-6 380mm steering wheels The "Euros" always got more. They had the S AND the L and the T (which "we" didn't have in 68) plus the plain ole 911...to wit:

The 4th digit in the chassis number will be specific for the different models, 1 is a R.O.W. (rest of world) 911L coupe, 0 is a U.S. model 911L coupe, 6 is a ROW 911L targa, 5 is a U.S. 911L targa. All this and a ton of other useful information is in “Porsche 911Red Book” by Patrick Paternie.

Ed Mayo - PCA WebSite - 11/16/2006

In fact there were 720 ROW L coupes and only 449 US L Coupes!

-Allen-

Just had to get a wheel dig in huh???

So, what is the difference between a 68 911 (normal???) and the 68T? Difference in the carbs and again the smog, rubber knobbers and side lights?

For that matter the two versions of the L? Again, same as the T?
    Looks like I need to go do some more 68 reading. You know, I gets my books and page right to the 70-71 references most of the time.

Seems strange to me that they would have the ROW L unless they were just priming us for the release of the mid range E in 69.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Restoration newbie.
    I think what Don has is a 911L with 901/30 engine which was a
    lightweight car with engine number in the range 3880001-3880028.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    Just had to get a wheel dig in huh???

So, what is the difference between a 68 911 (normal???) and the 68T? Difference in the carbs and again the smog, rubber knobbers and side lights?

For that matter the two versions of the L? Again, same as the T?
    Looks like I need to go do some more 68 reading. You know, I gets my books and page right to the 70-71 references most of the time.

Seems strange to me that they would have the ROW L unless they were just priming us for the release of the mid range E in 69.
    The 911T was, believe it or not, a detuned "normal." However, testers found little detectible differences between the T and Normal.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans
    I think what Don has is a 911L with 901/30 engine which was a
    lightweight car with engine number in the range 3880001-3880028.

andy
    You're right: It is 3880009

-Allen=

Michael,

....jeez mate,you have just got to get out and about a bit more and stop playing with those sat dishes....
    When you eventually get back to Sydney I will arrange for you to have a ride in Justin's '68 L through one of our local National parks - no snakes,though !!
    Kent Moore will vouch for its speed !
    I received this list in a '68 white brochure years ago from Millers (?) - FYI.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908
    Michael,

....jeez mate,you have just got to get out and about a bit more and stop playing with those sat dishes....
    When you eventually get back to Sydney I will arrange for you to have a ride in Justin's '68 L through one of our local National parks - no snakes,though !! Kent Moore will vouch for its speed !
    I received this list in a '68 white brochure years ago from Millers (?) - FYI.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    Tell me something I don't already know!

Thanks for posting the price list! Does look like they were just getting us ready for three models of 911.

Well, I thought I was going to be back thru your way this year but, a project of mine was bumped out a year for the site installations. We have another project that just started that will go into the same facility that I might get in on. Since I always end up going through Sydney anyway be assured I'm starting to garner a long list of promised rides and beers! No snakes indeed. One run in with your red bellied black is enough, thank you very much! I'd much rather take my chances with the drop bears.

I'm not really interested in what the car is or isn't, US or ROW really. It's beautiful in either case. I just had not heard before of the homologation effort for the L. I would have thought the Normal would have been the base.

So, I'm guessing we received the 68T and not the normal?

In the meantime I'm re-aquainting myself with the redbook before I ask any more questions.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan

So, I'm guessing we received the 68T and not the normal?

In the meantime I'm re-aquainting myself with the redbook before I ask any more questions.
    Nope, ROW got the T but we got the Normal and the L

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E
    Nope, ROW got the T but we got the Normal and the L

-Allen-
    HA! So we got the hotter one for a change! Weird.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586