Thread: Wiring Question(s)

Wiring Question(s)

Hey fellas, I'm playing master auto electrician with my rear tail light housings and sorta wondering a couple things. Any wiring gurus hanging around?

1: What guage wiring is used in the plug-in harness and is there a source for that wire with the painted stripes (or something similar)?

2: in my workshop manual for the 71T is see a green and white wire running from one side to the other...is this wire a ground? I don't seem to have that wire in my harness.

3: I ran a multimeter thru the wires of the harness to see which wire went where in the 6-prong plug. If you look at the plug the top hole (where the guide is above it) and the hole just to the left of it's dead or no continuity from those holes to any corresponding wires. Should they be dead? The wiring diagram doesn't show anything for them either if I'm reading it correctly.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

wires

Grounds on a porsche have always been brown. If you want the correct color on your wires get a wiring harness from a wreck, or ask around. People that have been fooling around with these cars for 40 years usually have pieces of harnesses laying around. I could probably supply it. The other question would require me looking at one of my cars and I cannot get to them at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    Hey fellas, I'm playing master auto electrician with my rear tail light housings and sorta wondering a couple things. Any wiring gurus hanging around?

1: What guage wiring is used in the plug-in harness and is there a source for that wire with the painted stripes (or something similar)?

It's 0.5 mm - pretty fine stuff, around 22 gauge AWG, I believe. You can get these wire parts, including connectors, from Porsche. I just bought some.

2: in my workshop manual for the 71T is see a green and white wire running from one side to the other...is this wire a ground? I don't seem to have that wire in my harness.

Not sure on this. There is a wire that runs for the reverse lights, from one side to the other, but I can't recall the color, right now. All the ground wires are brown.

3: I ran a multimeter thru the wires of the harness to see which wire went where in the 6-prong plug. If you look at the plug the top hole (where the guide is above it) and the hole just to the left of it's dead or no continuity from those holes to any corresponding wires. Should they be dead? The wiring diagram doesn't show anything for them either if I'm reading it correctly.
    This application of the six pin connector just uses five of the locations.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Next time - smaller type!
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Maybe I can help you Paul,

Most of the wiring appears to be 12 gauge stranded. And as gunzel mentioned you can try finding a wreck, or check out this link http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/neauwi.html if your looking for new stuff. I haven't tried them yet but they do advertise in Excellence.

That green/white wire should be for your fog light (optional). And it should only run to the left rear of the car. My 73T has a green/white wire and a brown wire (ground) neatly hanging in left rear q/panel behind the taillight lense. Can you physically see it there?

As I'm looking at a schematic I don't see the gr/wh wire running into the 14 pin connector at the back of the car so I can't recall off the top of my head how it runs to the front of the car. As for the prong plug, if you post some pics then I can compare them to what I have on my car and let you know what's what

Hope this helps!
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Ahhhh thanks. The green/white stripe wire is optional fog lighting. If I wasn't so lazy I would have seen that clearly on the schematic. Pretty sure I have a handle on it now. Previous owners cut into the back of the tail light housing (original on my car) and stole a hot wire off the grey/red and a black ground wire off the brown for a pair of licence plate lights. It's funny how over the years people have messed around in that wiring.

btw...if anyone needs the wiring diagram in color for a 71 911 I have scanned and created one in .pdf format and will gladly email it out.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Glad that I can help Paul. Don't ya just hate it when the PO starts swapping out wires! I have a friend that's pulling his hair out right now because the PO of his car replaced all the rear taillight wiring with all Brown wires!

Yeah, they're all brown
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Some early color wiring diagrams in PDF format here:

http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars

Sherwood

LMAO....all brown wires....bwaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa. Now that's funny. At first I was terrified of the original wiring diagram but in reality if you just follow the wires you can determine what everything is easily. The reality is the wiring is fairly basic in these old beasts. Ya just gotta take the time to understand it.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars
    Some early color wiring diagrams in PDF format here:

http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars

Sherwood

Sherwood, this is a great link! Thanks for posting it

Yeah Paul, it is funny it's just gonna take him a little longer to sort is all out. And if you ever need any pics from my car for comparison just let me know.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster