Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New & Need some help

help re colour codes / name UPDATED w/pics

Hi

have come to here via DDK in England and then Pelican.......lovely relaxed tone here and lots of great cars and information.......now registered and have paid up too to help keep the site as it is , and now my first question !

I have my car at bodyshop and decided to change from its original ivory to one of two colours.....my favourite at present i think is a 356 colour only and I have attached a picture as I cant get any verification of whether it is slate blue or aquamarine blue....pic attached -the other colour is slate grey

I plan to add side decals in silver too (maybe!)

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    70 911 aquamarine

fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome to the board!

I believe that it is Aquamarine blue. You can do a search for slate on the board, and you'll get many examples.

That's a great color, you can probably find a color reference over on the 356 board. What color interior are you going to try?

www.356registry.org

regards,
    Eric

Hi Eric

Thank you for replying. I now have a few trusted sources stating this to be aquamarine so now I have to make sure we get the right paint.

I plan to rebuild the 2.2 engine after this adding some displacement and S cams , pistons etc

After that will come the interior. First thought is tan but may be tempted by a red.

Brakes and suspension were first items , brake lines , fuel lines and other bits and bobs as well as crank fire ignition. Now with bodywork done in near future I will think what could be next.

Thanks for the welcome

paul
    70 911 aquamarine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome to the board.

This link to a 356 color chart may help. It will give you paint codes which can get you to some samples.

http://members.aol.com/zenith356c/Porsche356Colors.html

Regards,
    Bob

oh well found the colour is aquamarine non metalic....there is a 356 here in London at the Maxted Page dealership that has been restored using this colour.....here is the quote form the bodyshop:

well the code for aquamarine [ non metallic] is 5707, you can find a great list of early colours and codes on Willhoits website, John is a a Stateside restorer and a very good one at that, mind you, the sample on PC screen is far from correct which isn't a surprise, but its a start for reference

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/

Regarding the cab which you like we found some original paint on the car and matched that using a Glasurit Colour profi system, I've had samples over from the US and from Glasurit [ Ye Old Paint supplier in the Fatherland ] and neither of them matched our original sample, so we went with what that car had on it from new [ apparently]

In truth there doesn't seem to be one shade of this colour as with many colours used in the 50's, these days we have what are called "variants" when a colour in production varies to the original on the assembly line, in the 50's I think you got it as it came and that was that, so we have many variations and no one really can say which is correct.

If it helps you can order this paint from a Glasurit paint supplier, check the web maybe for your nearest, the Colour Profi code we used was U5*06*30*00 and as I say the manufacturers code is 5707
    Once we had the paint mixed we then tinted it to match the sample we had but the U5 code above was the starting point and much prettier than the original formulae which I do have for Glasurit but when mixed it comes out a dirtier and less appealing blue, we used poetic licence and repainted in same colour as hidden sample we found

I would recommend that you only have a minimum quantity mixed and the sprayed out to check it is the colour you really want, @ well over £100 per litre ordering 6 litres up front would be a costly error !!
    70 911 aquamarine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well after a great deal of time and a lot of new metal I have some rough pics
    of a 911 in aquamarine (code 5707). Really changes with the light. Very pleased and just attending to the the few bits that happen when car is completely stripped.....I have not had a great deal done to the interior other than some seats and carpets and also didnt get round to the chrome , the fuchs , engine (!) but car has had all the rust removed and re jigged and rebuilt where it counts and I actually like the patina of whats left. Hopefully not too over restored.

All settling in and great to have her back after 20 months.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    70 911 aquamarine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It looks to have turned out great Paul & I would imagine it's one of those colours that looks even better 'in the flesh' so I look forward to seeing it sometime.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy

You are right. This is my handheld camera on drive.I was hoping to get to the Fairmile with Chris Turner but the early nights may be upon us.

Thanks for help during last year with colour and other bits, Glad to be keeping it. The Tarrett & Elephant suspension is a revelation.

Paul
    70 911 aquamarine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks Fantastic!

I applaud you for taking the leap and doing a color (colour?) that you like, the fact that's an old 356 color is so much the better. There are some great colors to choose from in the past.

So, no red interior eh? No matter, I really like how it's turned out.

Congrats!

Eric