Thread: the mystery knob...

the mystery knob...

I don't currently have a pic but to the left of both the cigarette lighter and rear defroster knobs I have a knob, thinner in nature, that has a small LED in the middle. The knob looks Euro-style and I believe it's for some sort of fog light- the question is for which one? Is it for the below the bumper ones (on a 71)? Would thru the grill lights have had a knob with a light icon on it and would have matched the others in appearance? I've seen other cars with this "different" looking knob placed next to the others- initially I thought the knob was replaced, but after seeing it elsewhere, it seems to be correct. Any ideas? I know with the lack of photos it makes it hard, but I think someone must know what I'm babbling about!

Thanks
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Kalied:
    I believe that it is an early style fog light switch. I had one on my 1968 for the fog lights below the bumper. On my 72S, I have the other type of fog light switch with the light emblem on it. The car came from the factory with the through the grill light.
    I am glad to see another gold metallic car on the board
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Please post a picture of the knobs, and we will tell you what you have.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Here is the set up on a RHD 70 S being restored. The switches are fog, lighter and rear screen heater.

HTH

Alan

this is what I mean...

thanks for the pic Alan- the set up I'm talking about I've seen elsewhere and I found it occur again in a car that was for sale by a friend of John Audette- John I hope you don't mind- I scraped a pic of the car that was for sale to demonstrate what I'm talking about (my car is about in hour way currently waiting for the bits and pieces to be added) Notice how there are American knobs present but also the Euro style one as well? I've seen other US cars with this as well as mine, so I'm not entirely sure that it's a matter of all these owners replacing just the fog light knob...what do you guys think? Was this a knob associated with a below the bumper fog light setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Is there an "American" knob. I thought it was just a rubber surround with an insert to denote headlights, fan, etc.

I've bought some of each separately but I believe some of the inserts were disappearing. That might be the reason for the "naked" knob.
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera