Thread: How do I tell if the 68 Targa is an "S" ?

How do I tell if the 68 Targa is an "S" ?

Hi

I was told of a "68 S " the other day,
    How do I tell if its really an "S"

but the older Stoddard book is a little confusing on what the Vin number for a 68S Targa is , and what the engine code number is supposed to be ,
    and the engine serial number series

Is it listed anywhere else on the web ?

is the "S" stamped on the aluminum vin plate >

Did the USA model 68S have a smog pump ?

like always the seller says its all original,. but I know he did not buy it new so how does he really know ?

Thanks for your help

Chuck

Chuck:

I have a 68 US Targa. As I understand, there was no S sold as a US model because the S was unable to make the grade in regard to the emissions controls. The US Targas came in the normal and the L. Hope this helps.

Jason

Do you have access to the VIN? That would tell all. I'm not an expert in this crowd but I know there were no '68 Esses officially imported to the USA.
    Alan

Vin

the aluminum ID plate should read 911S in the first box at the top
    and VIN in the box below
    also the number is stamped in the body just below and to the left of the smugglers box
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Hi

well I am still confused,

Is it really a 911 L ?
    or is it a 911 S with the lower HP motor but still an "S"

since a European S has a seperate serial number series and the more HP motor is the the "True S "

I would think thats important to its later value if I dump a bunch of $$$$ in it to restore it.....

thankls for your thoughts

Chuck

Look at the car

Chuck, I'm not sure if you are in the USA, or where the car is located. But, your are questioning the 68S in the USA so I am assuming that is the case. A number of Euro Porsches migrated here in the last 40 years. It was not uncommon for cars to be brought back by service guys, the military would ship your belongings and household goods (and maybe a Porsche, too).

Early911zoo and Jason are correct look at the ID stampings and engine numbers. Let us know what you find.

There are also a number of easy to see features that will tell if it could be an S:
    Tach is 7200prm redline
    Vented front and rear rotors
    Rear sway bars drop links from studs on the rear banana arms.
    S badges on lid and dash.
    A lot of the bumper and interior trim was an option for the other models. This is only a identity case when it is missing: Leather steering wheel, wide deco on front and rear bumpers, bright trim on interior window ledges and chrome escutcheons on dash buttons, etc.

But the real difference is the mechanicals..engine...horsepower..ya that's what to look for.

Wish you luck with the car.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Hi.....I am in the USA,
    I think it has to be a USA model since it has a smog pump,

its one of those deals where if I go down and look at it I better buy it then,
    so I am trying to get as much info as possible ,

Maybe I can get the Vin numbeer, or ar least the first numbers, you know how some sellers are !

Chuck

here is what the guy gave me for the Vin

118 55 0XX oops only a single zero so 8 digits

Does this look right ?

from the Stoddard book it looks to be a 911 L USA version Targa but that vin has 2 zeros so 9 digits

I did not get the motor number yet.......

Does that seem right ?

Thanks for your help

PS<,,,,
    Specs on this 911 (118 55 0XX) are as such:
    Built in 1968
    Targa, S-version
    Karmann body
    Thanks for checking the VINtage.

so I am even more confused, is it an L or an S ......

Paternie's Red Book says it's a U.S. '68 911L Targa.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065