Thread: 68L Rally options

68L Rally options

http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...911/index.html

Cool car, afraid to even ask how much
    Rob Abbott

I dont think this would be classified as a race car from the factory with these options? Looks like the rally or race car option group was not ordered on this car, just some items from the racing/rally options list. What do the experts say?

Porsche Certificate of Authenticity Options List::

• Limited Slip Differential
    • Engine Compartment Light With Chrome Lid
    • Roll Bar
    • Tool Bin (in rear seat area)
    • Skid Plates for Front suspension, Engine and Transmission

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hopefully Ahearn will chime in.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Zithlord has it right, by the looks of it. In the March 8 1967 racing bulletin (so of the earlier model year), covering 911, 911S and 912, the options you mention are covered.... among about 120 other options.... Lovely car, because not every 911 left the factory with even just a few of these options. Too bad the engines on these cars are so rarely still with them....

I think this is a car Phil Bagley - Klub Sport Racing - had for sale at Lime Rock last Labor Day. May have been an Ahearn car. I know he bought several cars from Don last year. Nice car. Best feature is the map / tool holder on the rear bulkhead.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

This was my old car. It was special ordered with racing/rally equiptment from the factory such as rollbar, special gearbox, skidplates, and a tool bin among other more common options. I referred to it as a Customer Rally car. SWB rally cars were often production based ordered with whatever the customer wanted. This car had US Emmissions and lights and even a radio. From what I have found (I have owned 4 Sports Purpose optioned cars and have found a couple more) there are really no 2 cars that were optioned the same. The most alike were the 68 Trans Am cars which seem to be optioned pretty close and have alot of very cool rally options. They were not intended for street use though are able. The most uncommon was a 68S with Sport and Rally kit. These according to the Sport Purpose book and other factory info that I have were not even built as the S was discontinued for these options in 68, the S being replaced by the TR. To me any SWB that has a Rally Kit or a Rollbar ect. could be considered a factory built race car because that is what they used for. SWB cars excepting the R and TR were more or less production car based. My Kardex for the 68 TA that I own and one of the others has Sonderwunch for special wish listed on it.

Don

Sonderwunch... that word has to become part of my vocabulary! Thanks for the insight Don. I am especially interested in the skidplates and other interesting rally bits like the bins in the back. Do you have any additional photos to detail those?

Beautiful car, there is a good chance I have settled on silver or gray for the negative hood stripes on my Irish Green car, sort of the opposite of this car's scheme. During the season, my car enjoys monthly TSD fun, so I think it deserves stripes!
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I am especially interested in the skidplates and other interesting rally bits like the bins in the back. Do you have any additional photos to detail those?
    Brad,

Marco Marinello/ Elevenparts has a NOS frt skidplate available. There are a few pictures on his website. The rear skidplate is pretty simple. Peter in Austria lists them on eBay.de so every now and then.

Richard

Thanks to Don for educating us. It seems that there is not a distinctive line between a normal production car and a rally/race car as I thought. If it was intended for racing, even with only a few rally/racing options, it would be considered a rally/race car. I guess a buyer has to be very knowledgeable as there must be huge value differences from a car like this(low options) to a for example an S with rally kit or sports kit.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Anyone know the asking price?
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76