Thread: Help with Lechler Lesonal paint codes

Help with Lechler Lesonal paint codes

My 65 was painted a nonstandard color at the factory. The paint code area on the Kardex reads:

Lechler Lesonal 70187
    676 weissgrau

37yearold911 found weissgrau as a Mercedes color used in 65. The MB number for that color is DB158. I'm wondering if either 70187 or 676 are old Lechler Lesonal paint codes. They could be for any manufacturer, in fact they shouldn't be correct for Porsche as it's a custom color.

I've contacted Lesonal which is now part of Akzo Nobel. They don't have records back to the 60s. Lots of Internet searching hasn't gotten me any leads. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Alan

Alan didn't Reutter use three digit paint codes for the 356 bodies they built?? Could it be a 356 color?
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Alan,

I do have the 68 special color swatch set. There is a weisgrau in there but the number is a little different, 75742.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Tony,

That's a great thought. I checked and 676 is not a Reutter color number. John Wilhoit has a good list of the numbers and I checked with Porsche as well.

Richard,

That's really interesting. The number is different, but it's a 5 digit number. I didn't know that there were any 5 digit early Porsche color codes. Your color sample looks very much like the MB weissgrau color. I've looked at multiple sites for colors for 1965 and all the codes I found were 4 digits.

Thanks very much to you both! The search continues.

Alan

Alan,

The Special colors for Porsche were made by Lesonal Werke (Chr. Lechler & sohn). They were a lackfabrik in Stuttgart-Feuerbach and used 5 digit color numbers. The 4 digit are Glasurit colors.

Richard