Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of rivets for door pocket hinges?

Source of rivets for door pocket hinges?

Has anyone found a source for the 4 mm hollow rivets in the door pocket hinges? I could just drill them out to 5 mm, which is close to the commonly available 3/16 pop rivets, but I'd like to find a better match.

Thanks.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,

Check the McMcMaster-Carr Catalog. I think a 0.157" one would work.

Per their web site (www.mcmaster.com)

P/N 90219A042, Plastic Blind Rivet Off-White, .157" Dia, .020"-.197" Material Thk, In stock at $14.95 per Pack, This product is sold in Packs of 100 ; or

P/N 90219A043, Plastic Blind Rivet Off-White, .157" Dia, .197"-.354" Material Thk In stock at $14.71 per Pack This product is sold in Packs of 100
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thank you for spotting the plastic rivets, Harry. I wanted tubular rivets, like the originals, but I will be trying a substitute. I can't find the original style tubular rivets, or the mandrel to shape them.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    Thank you for spotting the plastic rivets, Harry. I wanted tubular rivets, like the originals, but I will be trying a substitute. I can't find the original style tubular rivets, or the mandrel to shape them.
    Tom,

Poke around their catalog. You may find something closer to what you envision.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Tom, are you gonna post some pics of your resto work?

I'm very interested in seeing the results
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Here you go, Tim. I am waiting for a new bungee cord for my flip out pocket. You can see that I was able to combine your fixed pocket and mine to get a decent result. I ended up using conventional 5/32" blind rivets with washers to reattach the hinges. Thanks for your help with this. Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

hi Tom, can i check, are you looking to adapt the usual 'fixed' and un-usable pocket, to something that can be opened and used, and clicked shut ?
    If so, sounds like a great idea, and i'd be interested in hearing what you're doing with it !!
    cheers Paul
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Paul, I agree that the fixed door pockets are not very useful. However, I am leaving them standard. As you may know they are hinged on the bottom exactly like the rear, folding pockets. The top handle part of the fixed pockets is secured with a stud and a screw. I think that it would be difficult to modify them to fold out like the rear pockets. Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom, where did you find the new bungee cord for your door pockets? Anyplace local?

cheers,
    Michael
    1970 S Coupe - Light Ivory - #9110300237
    1983 SC Cabriolet - Moss Green Metallic - #WP0EA091XDS170830

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney
    Tom, where did you find the new bungee cord for your door pockets? Anyplace local?

cheers,
    Michael
    Hi Michael.

I got mine at Stoddard.

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA