Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the cost of a good paint job done right?

the cost of a good paint job done right?

Guys,

I'm curious for the purposes of comparison what people are paying nowadays for a good paint job. I'm talking bare metal repaint on everything, all trim off, doors off, windows out, etc. Including engine bay and undercarriage of course. Curious what a Paterek Bros. paint job costs vs. what people are paying out west for something of similar quality for a few points of reference.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

This is driving the car complete to the shop completely assembled then picking it up fresh and re assembled? I have no idea, although I can say that bringing a car in that is stripped to the metal, although needing minor body work and sanding for JUST THE PAINT AND BODY would be in the 8000-10000 range last time I checked.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Sorry, should have been more specific- pricing based upon, as you mentioned, a roller that's already been stripped of trim.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Well then, that would be a ballpark answer for you. I'm sure you could find it for less, although I would venture that the result would not meet most of our expectations. The labor of pre and post paint is where the $$$ is.
    Michael

the quotes I've gotten from shops that know 911s, and will do the work to my satisfaction ( like it left the factory ) $10,000.
    Rob Abbott

just the paint. because there is so much else to do as far as prep and putting it back together and new parts etc. etc. but a master with single stage glassruit paint and getting those 3mm gaps etc etc etc for concors purposes aint going to be cheap that is for sure.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I just had a tub painted, undercarriage, interior, engine compartment trunk plus painted Carrera stripe. $8000.

I am now having a 356 redone bare metal. Drove it in complete will drive it out done. this will be around $12,000 with some limited metal work and re-chrome trim.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very true. Depending though on your own level of expertise, time available or timeframe that you want the project completed can all determine the cost...excluding your own sweat equity so-to-speak. If you are able to remove all the trim, bumpers, windows, engine etc...and also the paint (using a good paint stripper) the price could go down. Also, if you are willing to spend time on the finish color sanding and buffing you can save. These are the major time consumers. Also, with a car brought in completely stripped of trim and paint the "pro" can determine what REALLY will need to be done. No hidden surprises. My guess is you could almost cut that price in half to $5Gs. Although be prepared for lots of weekends in the shop getting close and personal with your car.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by boba
    I just had a tub painted, undercarriage, interior, engine compartment trunk plus painted Carrera stripe. $8000.

I am now having a 356 redone bare metal. Drove it in complete will drive it out done. this will be around $12,000 with some limited metal work and re-chrome trim.

WOW 12G's is a steal for all that work...
    Michael

I agree you can save by doing the disassembly and reassembly and by doing the stripping. Although the biggest cost in the stripping is the product not the labor.

Most quality painters will want to do the finnish work as the final product is their calling card, it is their reputation. That is not to say you cannot get someone to just spray it, but that is not where the cost is, it is in the prep and the finnish.