Thread: Engine and trans for a 1967 S

Engine and trans for a 1967 S

Well, the time has come for me to part with this … reluctantly, of course. I have a disassembled engine from a 1967 911S as well as a very nice 901/02 transaxle (with the S gears). For the longest time, all I ever wanted was a 67 S. I knew I’d never afford one with the market really taking off for early S cars. So when I came across this a few years ago, I thought I’d get my S by building it. Well, that is not likely to happen … you have heard the story before … just got married, thinking of starting a family, and too many toys standing in the way. I already have a 912 and a mid-year 911, and my wife (and life in general) says it’s time to downsize a bit.

So here we go. I’ll provide some details. The engine is disassembled and is in boxes in my garage. I can try to get pictures of everything in the next few days. The case is an aluminum case, serial number 96xxxx … I’ll find the other numbers when I pull it out of the box. I have two 66 mm cranks, two sets of S rods, and the 80 mm pistons and cylinders. I assume they are stock 9.8:1 (S compression ratio). I have the S cams, and all the little bits and pieces. I have the red fan shroud. I do not have the IDS Webers or the black air filter housing. I also do not have the 002 distributor. I think those are the only things missing. I’ll have to double-check that. The engine was disassembled when I bought it. I do not know why it was torn down. All the components are in good shape.

The 901/02 transaxle is not from the same car. I bought it from a PCA member who was parting out a 67 S. He said he thought it had only 40,000 miles on it. It is in very good condition.

So here is a rare opportunity to get the entire drivetrain for a 67 S. It is a great start for that dream project … once my own dream. I would prefer to sell this to someone who will put it into an S chassis and needs a numbers matching engine. Those were my intentions, after all.

Like I said, I’ll try to get pictures soon. (Gotta make room to empty the boxes!) I’m glad to show it to anyone interested. I live in Montclair, CA, about 45 minutes east of LA. I’m not looking to make any money on this, so I have thought very deeply about a fair price. Let’s start at $5750. I’ll entertain offers, but I don’t want to give this away. It will not be easy to part with it!

extra set of rods

Would you be willing to sell the extra set of rods if they are in good condition. Thanks jeff jk356@sirus.com

If you break up the set I will take the case and fan shroud if they are original S. Please keep us informed Thanks.

I would prefer to sell all of this together. It would be a shame to split it up, in my opinion. If there is no interest, I'll keep it for that rainy day when I find the right car. If I let it go, I'd like it to go to the right person with the right car. Otherwise I'll hold onto it. If I find a buyer, and he only wants one of the two cranks and one of the two sets of rods, then I'll sell them separately. Thanks for the replies, though.

I sent a PM concerning the trans, I am interested and can pick up.

Thanks,

Erich
    Early 911S Registry #263

Please check your PM & e-mail I sent you a note about buying the whole lot and am local as well. Thanks

Just to let you all know ... I received your PMs and read them. Thanks for the interest! The last few days have been very busy since I posted this. I apologize for that ... bad timing on my part I guess. I also underestimated how many would be interested and how quickly you would respond. I will do my best to get back to you ASAP. If not by the end of the weekend, then soon thereafter.

I just sent PM's to all interested parties. Some, however, had full inboxes, so my message did not go through. Here's the story. As soon as my brother-in-law caught wind of my intentions to sell the engine and trans, he stepped in and insisted that I sell them to him. That's the current status. If he backs out in the next day or two, I will try to get in touch with anyone still interested so as to make the parts available for sale once more. In the meantime, they have been spoken for.

Thanks for the interest, Chris Stanisky

For the record I don't think this transaction was handled well.

If the parts were "really" for sale then the first responder willing to pay asking price as I was, should get the chance to actually buy them.

All other comers including family should be in line as is normal proceedure.

Just an opinion and I'll leave it at that.

Thanks anyway.