Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamat - need pictures of how/where to apply

Dynamat - need pictures of how/where to apply

Hi,
    Im planning to isolate my 911 coupe using Dynamat products and would like to see how you did - and know what types of mats yo have used.

I recall having seen recently a series of pictures from a very nice and complete restoration and where Dynamat was used.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Peter, Copenhagen

73 911S 2.4 Targa - Black
    73 911RS clone 3.6 - Orange (soon)

Hi...

I used dynamat in my Suburban and was not totally pleased with the outcome. I think there are other products out there that are less expensive and do a better job. I would do a search on the internet in general.... when I did, I found a LOT of other ideas out there for my next time.

regards,
    Eric

Dynamat is GARBAGE!!!!!

The better solution would be Acumat (Accumat sp?) ... it's got sticky goo on the back and is best applied with heat.

More information can be found at Scoche Industries in Oxnard, CA.

I've used Accumat in the roof of some 911s with OUTSTANDING results.

BTW, did I mention that Dynamat is TRASH!!!!?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

JC Whitney sells an equivalent product at a fraction of the cost. Explore that option.

However, use judiciously. Don't get carried away. Large area coverage creates added weight. Flat sound-board surfaces are best served. Less so curved surfaces; they don't vibrate as much.

Brush or spray-on liquids like B-Quiet are viable alternatives and may add less weight for equiv. performance and easier to install/apply.

Are ear plugs an option?

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Dynamat is GARBAGE!!!!!

The better solution would be Acumat (Accumat sp?) ... it's got sticky goo on the back and is best applied with heat.

More information can be found at Scoche Industries in Oxnard, CA.

I've used Accumat in the roof of some 911s with OUTSTANDING results.

BTW, did I mention that Dynamat is TRASH!!!!?
    My car will soon be ready for re-assembly, and we're planning to install Accumat on the floors, doors, rear bulkhead and package shelf, rear seat pans, and rear side panels. The restoration shop, however, advises against installing it on the roof stating it could interefere with the headliner installation and/or lead to headliner issues in the future.

Marco - can you provide any addtional details regarding the outstanding results you achieved with roof applications?

thanks,

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I totally agree with Raj, except for roof and for the rear seat area ( where there was an original pad made with horsehair-style material) .

What do you think about sprayable material (viscoelastic polymer) like "quiet car" product http://www.quietcar.net/ ??

look at the Darryl's site ... very interesting.... Darryl nr.1 !!! http://www.darrylsgarage.com/912/912OCT06.htm
    Last edited by andrea70; 11-28-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

You can still get the original material from Porsche Germany but it's super expensive and you cut to fit.
    72S, 72T now ST

Peter,

I'm just putting my car back together, and was faced with same delema as you what to put under the carpet to replace the tar filled coir padding found throughout our cars.

I might get flamed here, but I did go with Dynamat mainly due to it's availability in Australia, as a lot of other products mentioned above are either not available here, or have restrictions on air transport.

I spoke to a number of people and the concencus is you don't need to cover the panel entirely. Dynamat, and when I say that I mean there Extream product is an anti drumming product, and won't stop road noise, but stops the drumming of panels.

To answer your question I cut squares about 6" sq and placed them across the floor between the raised ribs. I gave the panel a tap from the underside and was quite happy with the heavy thud, rather than the tin can sound. I then proceeded in the same manner across the rest of the car tapping the panels as I went and keeped on adding sections until the panel was mass loaded and sounded solid.

I ended up using 6 sheets of Dynamat Exteam.

What you do next is up to you. I ended up using EVA foam in various thicknesses ranging from 12mm to 8mm. EVA is a semi rigid clossed cell foam, so it won't absorb water, but will cut down on road noise.

I've got some photos that I can post if that helps explain where I put them?

Tony

Thanks for everyone's input...glad I resurrected this old thread.

The objective is to cut down on noise...however...not if its going to result in future rust issues. I just spent a lot of $ on metal work, and I never want to go down that road again!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    Peter,

I'm just putting my car back together, and was faced with same delema as you what to put under the carpet to replace the tar filled coir padding found throughout our cars.

I might get flamed here, but I did go with Dynamat mainly due to it's availability in Australia, as a lot of other products mentioned above are either not available here, or have restrictions on air transport.

I spoke to a number of people and the concencus is you don't need to cover the panel entirely. Dynamat, and when I say that I mean there Extream product is an anti drumming product, and won't stop road noise, but stops the drumming of panels.

To answer your question I cut squares about 6" sq and placed them across the floor between the raised ribs. I gave the panel a tap from the underside and was quite happy with the heavy thud, rather than the tin can sound. I then proceeded in the same manner across the rest of the car tapping the panels as I went and keeped on adding sections until the panel was mass loaded and sounded solid.

I ended up using 6 sheets of Dynamat Exteam.

What you do next is up to you. I ended up using EVA foam in various thicknesses ranging from 12mm to 8mm. EVA is a semi rigid clossed cell foam, so it won't absorb water, but will cut down on road noise.

I've got some photos that I can post if that helps explain where I put them?

Tony
    Ditto for me too

I actually found the Dynamat product ideal for the roof panel as it doesn't interfere with the headliner and definitely reduces resonance and drumming. I'm also using it on the back parcel shelf/firewall.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga