Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KONI shocks. Rebuild or get new one's?

KONI shocks. Rebuild or get new one's?

Another question.

My car has the KONI suspension dated 2/67.

Q-1. What are the cons of having old shocks rebuild?
    Q-2. Which company rebuilds KONI schocks?
    Q-3. Are the current available KONI's the same in appearance as the old one's?

Thanks,

Richard

Well, since you asked for opinions, I would always have the original, date-stamped Konis rebuilt (versus buying new ones), purely because they are date-stamped for the car. If you're not the type that cares if the shocks are date-stamped, PLEASE keep them in a safe box for future consideration (either by you or the next owner).

KONI rebuilds the shocks. Go to their website and there is a number in their somewhere. You can give them a call and speak about your options. The rebuild includes a full cosmetic restoration as well. The downside? Last time I called (approx. 1 year ago), they needed the shocks for 4 months due to the backlog. Waiting would suck, but things may have changed now.

There may be other places that can rebuild to factory appearance and specs as well.

My 1.5 cents.

John

John,

Thanks for the tip.

This is what I will do. I have been offered a new set at a good discounted price and use those temp. while the original one's are for rebuild at KONI.

Thanks,

Richard

I'm assuming this advice is still the way to go? I see tirerack has Koni's on sale until the end of the month for about $560.00 for all 4 shocks delivered, but they won't be original to the car. Any particaular rebuilder preferred by the group? And 4 months? Ouch...

Beside the date codes, Original Konis and the replacement Konis differ in other ways as well. There is a slight difference in the body size and wall thickness. Set them up side by side and the differences are more obvious. The guts are not interchangeable between the two. I would prefer to send my original Konis to Truesports for a complete rebuild than install replacement versions.

Do contact Koni as not all early shocks are rebuildable as I was told by them several years ago. Ultimately, getting a good price on new ones wasn't worth the hassle of rebuilding and refinishing the old. You get to decide.

Koni will NOT rebuild the front strut inserts.....doesn't matter as there is no originality stamps to see.

Koni's "official" rebuild facility is in Lexington KY...there are private shops, Truesports etc that can do a mechanical rebuild.

Koni will repaint the early shocks in the late redish orange....NOT the early brownish orange.....I simply told them not to paint mine and I used my own match to the original.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

digressively valved Bilsteins for driving the car; Konis for storage in a museum

Had a set with Porsche P/N on the rears done by Koni about two years back and was very underwhelmed by the service. Mismatched bushings, some old and some new, very poor/broken packaging which resulted in major dent in a rear housing. I would have the set restored in one of the independent shops.

Don't forget that the Koni shocks are lifetime guaranteed to the original purchaser.
    I sent mine in with a copy of my receipt (from PBtweeks--they were bought a while ago!) and got a nice new set by return mail.

cheers
    Adam912.Out.