Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F-1 2008

F-1 2008

Absolutely pathetic. Here's why:

1) These guys have no clue how to drive without computer aids. The exception to that statement is Hamilton who, I believe, hasn't been in F-1 long enough to have his skills "dumbed down" by the technology.

2) Ferrari can't make their motors last ... even the one's they're selling to other teams are going KABOOOM!! Pathetic.

3) David Coulthard = Crash Test Dummy. Dude, IT'S TIME TO RETIRE!!!

4) Exploding carbon brake discs - not the drivers' fault but, c'mon, we're talking about people's lives.

I have more gripes, but I'll let you guys chime in. I'm dressed in Nomex so bring on the flames.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    These guys have no clue how to drive without computer aids.
    I think this is a little harsh, Marco. It is true that the removal of traction control has caused the cars to be much harder to drive, especially in the wet, but all the young guys who came up thru GP2 and F3 have driven without TC, although having double the HP or more certainly doesn't make it easier, and all the older drivers with pre-2001 experience have driven without it.

Australia certainly was a circus, and the general chaos came from multiple sources, so I can understand your dismay. The kind of reliability problems Ferrari experienced were incredible, given their budget, but of course they will want to blame them on the McLaren ECU. From what I have heard, the Red Bull suspension problems were due to a track rod failure, not an exploding brake disc. The commentators got that wrong. Pretty unforgiveable, still, given the amount of engineering that goes into the cars, but designers are always pushing the limits to achieve weight savings, and the bonding of carbon fiber contol rods to titanium end fittings can be very tricky, obviously.

As far as Coulthard goes, from what I saw, Massa was to blame for that crash. He had not established position to overtake and essentially "dive-bombed" Coulthard. I heard David wanted to punch him out, ala MS! Kimi made the same sort of optimistic attempt to pass later on as well, but escaped without contact, luckily. Only Nakajima made a worse move in the race when he crashed Kubica out under the safety car, which was unforgiveable, I think, and brought him a penalty.

Despite the sometimes inscrutable and idiotic rule changes in F1, there is no denying that it will be an exciting year of racing in F1, IMHO.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Marco relax, it's early in the season.

I agree there should not be an issue with exploding carbon fibre and Coulthard should perhaps retire or get his act together and know when he's been passed.

I look forward to this season and BMW making a run for the top. That last Banzai run Kubica made for the pole in Australia was incredible. Toyota looks to be coming together again and I'm really looking to see if Ross Brawn can right the Honda ship. Masssa and Kimi are on pole in Malaysia so Ferrari's coming together as we all knew they would. Hamilton will again have all he can handle with them both this year.

C'mon it's F1.. If there wasn't chaos and hand grenading motors it would be boring. Who knows maybe Michael will come back since he did most of Ferrari's early testing w/o driver aids
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Marco ... drop the remote and step away from the TV! I think this is going to be one of the best seasons in years. There's a whole new generation of drivers stepping up to the forefront and I think we'll be watching this group for years to come.

Should be interesting to see what wonderboy can do from 9th place on the grid ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 place penalty, what a crock! From what I saw, Hammy was going for one last blast until someone blocked him and he just gave up. I bet that Renault just in front of the McLarens is going to be extra wide tomorrow!

Anyway, back to Marco. ARE YOU KIDDING? This is going to be a great season! I love seeing the cars sideways.

I was dissapointed taht Vettle didnt do slightly better, but it was still impressive seeing him get into Q2 with the Torro Rosso. IMO, future WDC in that young man!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    5 place penalty, what a crock! From what I saw, Hammy was going for one last blast until someone blocked him and he just gave up. I bet that Renault just in front of the McLarens is going to be extra wide tomorrow!

Anyway, back to Marco. ARE YOU KIDDING? This is going to be a great season! I love seeing the cars sideways.

I was dissapointed taht Vettle didnt do slightly better, but it was still impressive seeing him get into Q2 with the Torro Rosso. IMO, future WDC in that young man!
    Ah F1...

Random penalties, bizarre rulings... You gotta love it, a great season lies ahead.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I love that I got the fire started. It should be noted that my post was written after watching the Malaysian GP practice.

I thought Australia was a fantastic race - it was almost NASCAR-esque with the rate of attrition. The absence of traction/launch control has made for some exciting ... ahem ... maneuvers, but I have to say that Hamilton is the only one who doesn't look twitchy out there. Tom, you make a good case for the drivers' ability but, c'mon, 2001 was 7 years ago; at the rate technology in F-1 moves 7 years ago might as well have been the stone ages. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying these guys CAN'T drive, but I am saying that they've lost their edge. The majority of the drivers are so used to having the computer step in that they've adapted their driving style to the computer aids and now have to re-learn (un-learn?) how to drive these cars. Hamilton seems to be the only one who is, for the most part, unaffected by the changes. I believe there's a direct correlation between his comfort level and smoothness sans TC and his relative newness to F-1.

Coulthard is another matter completely. My reference to him was in light of him obliterating the front of his car because he ran wide (his steering DID NOT FAIL as far as I'm concerned from watching the replays over and over and over) and tried to shortcut the track. His response? He just packed his toys and left the sandbox. Went to sit by the pool at the hotel, according to the annoucers.

And in regard to exploding brake discs, well, it's not a one-time thing with Toro Rosso. I believe it happened in Australia, and it happened during practice for Malaysia as well. I think driver safety should come first, and there seems to be a lapse in good judgement on that team. Red Bull ... it kills your F-in braincells.

My DVR is champing at the bit. Let the wild rumpus start!!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

You may have a point regarding the drivers being dependant on the TC...but that will change quickly.

I agree with you about DC, but I was thinking it was Webber who went back to the pool...will have to re-watch that one.

Last week it was a red bull car, this week a toro rosso.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    5 place penalty, what a crock! From what I saw, Hammy was going for one last blast until someone blocked him and he just gave up.
    LH Cockblock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3vu7Pxv6FE

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    Coulthard is another matter completely. My reference to him was in light of him obliterating the front of his car because he ran wide (his steering DID NOT FAIL as far as I'm concerned from watching the replays over and over and over) and tried to shortcut the track. His response? He just packed his toys and left the sandbox. Went to sit by the pool at the hotel, according to the annoucers.
    So he went to the pool?
    Rules don’t allow him to do anything else.
    His toys were hardly packed away, that was an all nighter for the team no doubt.
    The team was rebuilding the car, it would not be ready in time for the second session.

Did you hear the TR cars are being scrutinized for structural issues.
    Interesting the pit quip about the engineer for TR designs was good, just that his designs were 25% under engineered.
    Interesting also while the tubs are crash tested the A-arms/suspensions have no minimal standards.
    DC’s car was junk after the rub with Massa and again last Friday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDgEaOyg_8