Thread: Will Carrera/SC sways fit a 69 911?

Will Carrera/SC sways fit a 69 911?

hi all

the race rules for my 69 911E do not allow adjustable sway bars. the car currently has 15mm sway bars F and R.

if i wanted to go firmer - are the stock 18mm bars off a Carrera/SC a bolt on?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Ryan-

I have posted this before, but you must not have seen it. My mechanic does this all the time, and wrote a tech article on it for their website.
    http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/01-2003.htm

I used the 21mm Carrera rear bar on my '73, with this technique. Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for the front bars, as they went "underbody" instead of "throughbody" in 1974. The biggest OEM thru-the-body front bar is the 18mm from the early Turbo. I found one at a junkyard for $75, and all the stock hardware will work with it (lever arms, droplinks, etc.) If the rule does not require OEM, but just "Non-adjustable", it would not be difficult to fab a 20-21mm bar for the front with no adjustment. Or just buy a cheap Weltmeister 21mm adjustable, install it and find the perfect adjustment point to balance your setup, then weld the top of the droplink at the adjustment slider. Voila! The bar is fixed and no longer adjustable...

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

The '74 - 77 rear sway bar will fit a long hood car with the "ball and cup" style attachment to the rear control arm. I have it on my car and it works well.

The OEM front 18 mm sway bar is rare. Go with a Weltmeister 19 mm front bar, if the rules allow it.

Cheers,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

FWIW, my mechanic insisted I not go w/ Carrera under the body bars which he feels have very little effect on handling. He thinks the geometry is all wrong. That said, why would the factory do it?

That said, I bought 19mm Weltmeisters.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    The '74 - 77 rear sway bar will fit a long hood car with the "ball and cup" style attachment to the rear control arm. I have it on my car and it works well.

The OEM front 18 mm sway bar is rare. Go with a Weltmeister 19 mm front bar, if the rules allow it.

Cheers,
    Hello, my 1971 911S (with extensive modifications to other areas) has front and rear adjustable sway bars. I do not know much about them, they were there when I got it. I think they are Weltmeister.

The front is a through the body and appears to be set up well. The rear attaches to the spring plate on a nice, special pivot. This appears to be superior geometry to the ball attachment on the trailing arm.

Is my rear suspension in order? Can I remove the ball attachment without makor cutting? I would like to eventually upgrade to aluminum trailing arms.

Thanks
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

thanks guys - very helpful, especially that article Tom.

this site is great for us aussies. we can post questions at night, go to bed, and in the morning wake up to the answers!
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger
    Hello, my 1971 911S (with extensive modifications to other areas) has front and rear adjustable sway bars. I do not know much about them, they were there when I got it. I think they are Weltmeister.

The front is a through the body and appears to be set up well. The rear attaches to the spring plate on a nice, special pivot. This appears to be superior geometry to the ball attachment on the trailing arm.

Is my rear suspension in order? Can I remove the ball attachment without makor cutting? I would like to eventually upgrade to aluminum trailing arms.

Thanks
    Some say the drop link attachment to the control arm provides better geometry than to the spring plate. That said, most aftermarket rear bars attach to the spring plate - some are more robust than others.

If you want to upgrade to aluminum trailing arms, don't bother with modifying the ball attachment on the current steel arms. Remember to source '77-on aluminum arms. They use a threaded drop link attachment. '74-76 aluminum arms retain the ball-type drop link connection.

Sherwood

I use the 18mm factory front bar on both my cars. They are hard to find but, I believe you can buy the bar itself from Porsche. The trick would be to get the modified arms. These have reinforcements in the form of small "L" brackets. A decent metal worker could probably fab up stock arms to function like the 1976 930 arms (where the 18mm bars came from).

Here's a picture of the 18mm bar and factory reinforced arms:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Thanks Sherwood,

I will keep that valuable information in mind. This site is a great resource of knowledge.

-Max
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425