Thread: just bought a 1973 911E Luxury Model #0094

just bought a 1973 911E Luxury Model #0094

So there are plenty of discussions on here all the time regarding values and what cars are what. I don't think I saw a discussion yet on the car I just bought (its not an S worthy of a big discussion thread, or is it worth talking about). I just bought 1973 911E coupe #0094 on eBay. This car is not a 911S but it is not your typical 911E either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=017

I thought the car would sell for more than I got it for at $25,761.50 (odd amount). Was anyone else watching? I read at great lengths the 911E eBay sales history thread and found it to be a great guide that covers 911E targas in poor condition. No data I could use on this purchase. I could not find a similar 911E that was loaded with such factory options:

Sunroof
    Leather
    Factory A/C
    Power windows
    Muffler skirt
    S front bumper
    S trim
    factory installed S front suspension (no f*kin hydropnematics)
    Wheel arc trim
    Through the grille fog lights (not included with the car but listed with Porsche)
    Engine bay light
    Fuchs of course
    tool kit/jack/orig keys included

So I bought this car on a whim. I guess I am in too deep to consider the bid price it ended at great or terrible. Porsche cars are my first love. I already own a non sunroof 1970 911S, so what else do you look for? I saw the article on the 72 911E "anti R Gruppe car" in Excellence and I loved that car. Something you do not see so often. Options and rarity are king, un-replicateable, this one is a Luxo option king. Considering the 911E has lower production numbers than the 911S then why are the values or desirability so different? Figure that a 911E has slightly better around town performance than a 911S. The E can be weighed down with options and comforts, why not - the perfect car for it. Many 911S buyers do no want sunroofs or added optional weight that takes away from the true grass roots sports car. Sometimes even I think the Sports Seats add too much weight in my 911S.

I am another of these damn flippers so I know the market, however I do add value to my cars. I only wish I could come across the numbers of vintage Porsche that a certain Orange County CA dealers has. I have sold more pre owned 78-89 cars, 993s, 996s, and 997s than most people will ever know. While I only have sold 20 or so vintage Porsche cars professionally, mostly under a dealership with which I worked for, the vintage cars are the most fun and I take extreme pride when I acquire one to sell. I have a good idea of future values. Am I mad to think this car will be worth very high values in the future? This particular 911E I will keep and possibly do a full restoration - no flipping on this one.

This is an honest happy buyers take on a sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up heck of a great buy

Hi Mark,good to see you on top of the ball and congrats on that purchase, I was watching that one closely.

there are fewer of these E made than S's for every year and often have extra options compared to other cars, the E usually haad more luxuries..but this one ..on top of being one of the first ones to roll out...has an impressive array of options.
    this is one I definitely would have fought for, however my plate is already full!

I hope you do restore this one and that you post pics of the process/progress.

Richard in Pasadena
    best regards
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Richard, you need to get that building built in your backyard, fill it with storage lifts then your Zoo will have more room again. Good to hear from you.

The one option I could wish for would be sports seats but I guess you can't have everything.

Below is a 911E targa that I just built. This car is for sale, it looks like it has already sold to Germany. I would like to restore #0094 to this length or better.

Our two 73 E's must have been close together on the assembly line. Mine is 0069. Congrats on the purchase. I hope E's continue to get more respect as people see them for the wonderful driving cars that they are.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

W-E-E-E-E-E

Nice buy...good luck with the E...check out the E Registry at
    http://www.911e.org/

My E In Flight

Great buy!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Reference . . .

VIN = 9113200094
    Eng# = ?
    Trans# = ?

More here --- see post #105 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad-911E/page11

We Can Be Heroes

Mark, production numbers have some bearing on price but not desirability which helps determine price. Take total speedster production vs Conv D. No contest. By numbers only the D should be fetching far more than the Speedster. Not so. the Speedster is way more cool, better looking and a dedicated commute to race car. Marketed as such by the factory/Hoffman. So you have product placement in the model lineup. Take the RS. Similar to the '73S but with higher production numbers and targeted as a performance offering. But the S is one notch down in the pecking order so does not command the money the RS will.

I also think one's definition of sports car is important to consider. I came out of the rag top, side curtain race the car on weekends era. To me a roll up window is a luxury. So that sports purpose DNA, especially when designated by the factory in their marketing, adds a cool factor and desirability that the more pedestrian models just do not have. The S offers that over an E. I think that is, as you mention, why so many S buyers like strippers over Luxo models. Closer to the simplicity and sports purpose aspect.

But who knows, as time goes by and we become the toothless tigers of yesterday, maybe markets will value a more comfortable and turned out car than now. As for me, I still enjoy the performance aspect and spartan nature of sports cars as I see them. For others it may be different. Comfort and amenities do not make the car but certainly have an undeniable appeal. So you will make money on that car, looks like a good one, but it will never be an S. Just as the factory intended.
    Last edited by steve shea; 04-09-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club