Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cibies -how to mount and wire?

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

cibies -how to mount and wire?

OK.. so i recently purchased a set of cibies, and am eagerly waiting to put them on. I already have a second hood, and am eager to get everything mocked up and ready, but I am really not sure what the best way to do this is. so, i have several questions, which ill break down in two groups:

1) how did you mount it to the hood

-how did you know where to drill?
    -what were the measuring points or did you have a template?
    -how did you aim them and make sure everything was straight and acurate?
    -what did you drill with?
    -what was the size of the bit?
    -any techniques involved to not damage (crack or chip) paint?
    -did you drill from the top or bottom?
    -any helpful suggestions or advice before i do it?

2) How did you wire it

-where did you run the through, and what did you wire it up to?
    -was it in sequence with other (through the grill or below the bumper) lights?
    -if so, did it have a seperate switch or the same switch?
    -what gauge wiring, adn where did you get the switch?
    -did you run it through an inline fuse or did you hook it up to the fuse box?
    -thoughts, pointers, suggestions or anything else to keep in mind?

the more detailed answer the better. pics are definitly appreciated and encouraged. if anyone has any templates for where to mount or any other helpful tools of the trade, i would greatly appreciate if i can get a copy of it.

thanks!
    Harry
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I did the install myself, but had my shop wire it. You need to figure out where you want them to line up, I used the base of my head lights as the guide. Some chose to line up with the upper rim, its just personal choice. I like low and wide. I ran adhesive tape and measured center, then measured from the outer edges. I first, just taped them on to see if I liked where they were then checked they cleared underneath. Make sure before you drill that you are far enough inside of the inner hood support, you want to drill through only one layer. use the backing plate as your template. I ran the wire inside the hood support area. I used a factory fog light switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Abbott

did you drill from up top or from underneath? where did the wiring go into in the body (ie fuse box, inline fuse?). do you have any pics of the process, measuring up and how you lined it up, etc?

where should they line up, factory wise? where shoudl i measure from?
    Harry Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912
    did you drill from up top or from underneath? where did the wiring go into in the body (ie fuse box, inline fuse?). do you have any pics of the process, measuring up and how you lined it up, etc?

where should they line up, factory wise? where shoudl i measure from?
    I drilled from the top, its wired into the fuse box for the fog lights. Sorry I didn't take photos of the process. I really just lined it up where I thought it looked good, then made sure there was no interference. I then marked the spot and duplicated the measurement on the other side. I'd give you the measurements I used, but I don't have access to the car now, I can post in a few days.
    Rob Abbott

Step #1 - Lower the car

Step #2........

Harry,
    I will be doing this too. I would strongly suggest using a Dewalt brand "bullet-point" drill since it cuts the metal smoother and you have less chance of the bit grabbing and twisting the edge of your hole. (ouch) Put several strips of wide masking tape across your hood and lay it out with parallel lines and measure everything twice. You dont want a droopy eye.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by super9064
    I drilled from the top, its wired into the fuse box for the fog lights. Sorry I didn't take photos of the process. I really just lined it up where I thought it looked good, then made sure there was no interference. I then marked the spot and duplicated the measurement on the other side. I'd give you the measurements I used, but I don't have access to the car now, I can post in a few days.

you have a seperate fuse box for fog lights?? or am i misunderstanding? If so, can i get details on what this is, i dont have it in my 912. is ita a later 911 thing, and after market thing etc? where can i get such a beast?

i am planning on keeping my ttg lights, which i have wired with an inline fuse (via an old bosch vw fog light kit) to the battery. I know thats probably not the best way to do it, so im actually looking to correct this at the same time i wire my new set.

did you do anything to prevent chipping or cracking of the paint?
    Harry Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Step #1 - Lower the car

Step #2........

Harry,
    I will be doing this too. I would strongly suggest using a Dewalt brand "bullet-point" drill since it cuts the metal smoother and you have less chance of the bit grabbing and twisting the edge of your hole. (ouch) Put several strips of wide masking tape across your hood and lay it out with parallel lines and measure everything twice. You dont want a droopy eye.

thanks to the govt via tax refund and 'stimulus plan' i am hoping i can stimulte the economy through a suspension shop.. do you have one you can recomend? i dont think i trust the ones here in columbus I really need to lower this thing.

thanks for the heads up on the bit! I'll keep that in mind

BTW, Dave, did i mention i have a new exhaust? I still need to find exhuast leaks and do some more tuning.. but it has a slight bit less back preassure than the bursch i have been running. should be a bit louder, and deeper toned as well. SOme might say its a bit overkill for a 1720CC motor

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7EdfZC2pz8
    Harry Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912
    you have a seperate fuse box for fog lights?? or am i misunderstanding? If so, can i get details on what this is, i dont have it in my 912. is ita a later 911 thing, and after market thing etc? where can i get such a beast?

i am planning on keeping my ttg lights, which i have wired with an inline fuse (via an old bosch vw fog light kit) to the battery. I know thats probably not the best way to do it, so im actually looking to correct this at the same time i wire my new set.

did you do anything to prevent chipping or cracking of the paint?
    Sorry, that was not clear, its wired in the fuse box "at" the stock location for the fog lights. I did not do anything special to prevent the paint chipping or cracking, but I did put a dab of paint on the bare metal holes prior to mounting the lights, to prevent rust.
    Rob Abbott

I used a metal yardstick (1" CVG fir plank works, too) pressed against the headlights to find the line, then used a grease marker to draw the line. I measured equal distances from the hood edge for the mounting plate centers, used a machinists punch to set the drill marks and had at it. Only took me 45 minutes.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by super9064
    Sorry, that was not clear, its wired in the fuse box "at" the stock location for the fog lights. I did not do anything special to prevent the paint chipping or cracking, but I did put a dab of paint on the bare metal holes prior to mounting the lights, to prevent rust.

np.. i saw this pic in one of the links that was posted, and thought this was what you meant.

does anyone know what this is, or how this is wired?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Harry Hoffman