Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best place to go for a speedometer repair?

What's the best place to go for a speedometer repair?

Title says it all. Of course, this is for a cable driven speedometer.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    to have it rebuilt? North Hollywood Spedometer or Palo Alto Spedometer are supposed to be the best.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
    http://www.paspeedo.com/
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

As I recall, someone had quality or schedule issues with one of those outfits. I'd like to hear someone give a clear endorsement of one, or both if I'm wrong about the problems.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Thumbs up

I have never had a problem with North Hollywood Speedometer...

I've always worked or lived near their location.
    My contact has always been personal, as a 'walk in' customer.... not through the mail...

I think they're great.... not cheep, but great

Hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I sent mine out to No. Hollywood last year and had a problem with the calibration. Using their formula, I measured the number of cable turns over the specified distance. I took this measurement three times and the speedo read fast when it was sent back to me. They gladly took it back. The second time I took measurements through one of those radar monitors the police dept. leaves by the side of the road. The speedo is now spot on. I discussed the first measurements with the tech and he confirmed the calibration was correct. Though I did notice that the speedo had a Palo Alto sticker on it from the PO. So I guess I chalk this incident up as "One will never know". Alln all, the folks at NH were good to deal with.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Just had a bugger of a time with Palo Alto... they are not on my Christmas list anymore. High price, VERY slow turn around time, attitude when I called...I don't want to go on but for now I would use NH Speedo. That being said, I used PA in the past and they did quick and quality work. Not sure what has happened lately.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

NoHo Speedo is the only way to go for VDO. (Wow. That was an extremely odd, totally unplanned sentence.)

Be forewarned, you will not get out of NoHo Speedo for less than $200 per gauge, but the work is top notch.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I had a very bad experance with Palo Alto and the bad attitude
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

I have used North Hollywood 4 or 5 times. They are the best by far. Prices were reasonable and turnaround time was excellent. Most importantly, their resto work was great.
    I used VDO in Frankfurt germany once around 4 years ago to restore an early SWB speedometer. They were good but VERY expensive (€350 to do a resto that North Hollywood did for $200)!!!
    When I got the speedo back from VDO, I immediately noticed that (what I hoped was an arm hair was inside between the glass and the face plate.
    Had to send it back, which they glady took out for free!
    North Hollywood is the place to go!

I'm in the UK & use NHS for all my gauge restoration & modification - I've had about 25 gauges done by the over the past few years with excellent service.

I always deal with Hartmut (Behrens) & have nothing but praise for them.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105