Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Sixes into 7Rs

Deep Sixes into 7Rs

I have been contemplating this move for some time now and want to know opinions. I am running Deep Sixes on all four corners and want a little more rubber on the rear. I also want to keep my 67S look wheels as that would not look all that great if I refinished standard 7s. So the solution is to have Harvey work his brand of magic on my sixes and I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone have his contact information and what kind of wait am I looking at? Second, about fitment, my car is pretty low and the rears are now tucked into the wheel well. I can not quite get two fingers inbetween the fender and tire (the fender has been rolled). Do you guys think that 7Rs will fit and not rub if I run 215/60s? Third, what pair would you cut - the sixes with or without the hearts. I am running two of each. Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I am having Harvey restore and widen my deep sixes and they've been with him since August. I told him no hurry, though. Look up his number from YellowPages.com; just search "Weidmans" in Oroville, CA.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Weidman 7R's

Scott, I went down this path last year with my '71T with upgraded 2.7RS spec engine. PM me for Weidman's email or my phone #, happy to talk through it. I think his backlog is 8+ months, but it's worth the wait.

There are several issues you'll have to contend with, primarily the variation in OEM fender space, wheel spacer size and, I assume, front oil cooler lines. If you don't have the lines, threading the needle between body and fender is much easier.

Mine have worked out very well so far except a high speed vibration problem, which I think is either tire or spacer related. I needed 17-18mm spacing, which is a little more than the typical 15mm spacer, so I have a thin second spacer which may be causing the vibration although they are true. I'm waiting on some 17mm one-piece spacers to arrive. I needed the extra spacing to clear my oil lines, which are the '74 and later retrofits. The tires are Pirelli P6000 215/60.

Good luck,

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

I know of several guys also running 225/50s in the back on these. Harvey told me the 215s work fine. All of the above details are accurate; it is a trial ad error process. Sometimes you have to turn down spacers that work for others.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Are they as strong as a stock fuchs wheels ?

JD

Scott,
    Your problem is rubbing the fender halfway up, not at the lip. As low as your car is you may have issues....but I guess it is easy for you to adjust.

I am running 225/50. Honestly, I dont see the purpose of the 7R for a 215, since it will fit on a 6" just fine.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by RS-GT
    Are they as strong as a stock fuchs wheels ?

JD
    Yes indeedy do.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I'm running 225/50's on the rear on 7R's and 205/55's on deep 6's on the front...decent combination.

Harvey does a great job of widening wheels, he does take quite a while though. On a set he did for me, you could hardly tell on the backside that they had been widened.

E

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah Dave, that is the rubbing I am concerned about - not the lip. But you are right, I can change the height at the snap of the fingers. I was thinking of trying to get these done by Treffen, but with an 8 month wait, I don't think this is going to happen this year. You guys also answered my 215 versus 225 question - looks like 225s are it when I finally do go with the mod. Where do you get the proper spacers for these wheels? Is this something from the used parts bin at Easy or a new part from Stoddard or Pelican?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott,
    I bought mine from Harvey - very nice
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439