Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Italian police car

Possible Italian police car

I've never thought much about this, but the previous owner mentioned to me that the individual who imported my 67S from Italy back in the 80's said he thought it was used as a police car when new. I immediately dismissed most of it due to it being a coupe. ...But, he also mentioned that when he had the headlinder done there were several small holes and some old wiring in the middle of the roof. In addition, there is a small hole in the dash that is not factory and looks to be right for a small toggle switch or something. And for the third oddity, when I was sanding down the bottom of one of the doors there was evidence that the door had a coat of white paint over the original bahama yellow. This is found nowhere else on the car as I've had to sand serveral small areas to do a little rust repair, these just had two coats of bahama yellow. Could be a very light primer or something, but it sure looked white.

Anybody ever heard of Italy using 911's for police cars, a coupe at that?

Hello Bill,

I might be interesting to post some pictures of the odd things that you did find on your car.
    I do not know if the Italian Police ever drove Porsche's.
    We, on the other hand, in Belgium did have 3 generations of 911's that were used by the federal police (called Gendarmerie at the time).
    In 1973 they did order 911 E coupe's. We were probably the only country in the world where the police did not use Targa's.
    The second generation of cars were the 1976 small bodied Targa's. There were 20 off those cars ordered and they all had the Carrera RS 1973 engine's(type 911/83).
    The third and last batch were 1978 SC's.
    Today there is only one 911 E and two 911 (1976) Targa's that do still exist.
    The first one being in the collection of the historical service of the Police. Of the 1976 cars there is one in the collection of D'Ieteren and the only other one is perfectly restored to period specs and in private hands.
    I do join two pictures of each 1973 and the 1978 cars. These are period pictures and do come from the historic service of the police (I would like to thank them hereby).
    JD
    Attached Images Attached Images     

These two pictures are from a 911 Targa (1976) with the Carrera RS 1973 engine.

Only country in the world, Sweden is also a country

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Interesting, never seen an early coupe police car. I'll post a pic of that hole in the dash later today. I wish the headliner wasn't so nice, I'd love to have a look at those holes in the roof.

John,
    I did say probably, you don't have to take it personal!
    The Swedish polis car was, in time well before, our 1973 911 E.
    If I am not mistaken the Japanese police did also use a coupe, well before we did.
    JD

Bill

Here is the place to ask

http://www.rip911.it/

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

What does your certificate read? I owned the 68 Targa Polizei and there was a bank of electronic equiptment mounted up in the front compartment for the lights and siren. It was actually alot of tubes and relays for such a simple system. Another note is to look for signs of the lids and doors being a different color than the rest of the car. They were painted off the car and each door/lid would be completely that color. I do think that in Italy the cars were all white. Was your car originally light ivory? Coupes were used early on. In pictures that I have the light was mounted on the front driver side corner of the roof.

Don

Bill, I really doubt that your car was a police car when new.
    Italian police used, until recent times, only italian cars, mainly Alfa Romeos.

I think it could be a mobile phone of the first generation, in Italy they used to have quite big antennas in the middle of the roof in the '80s.
    In any case, if you have at least one of the Italian registration numbers of your car, you can quite easily retrace the history of your car from the first owner. That's what me and Giuliano from Rip911 did with Mike's (210hp) RS 2.7.

Ciao,
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by vipergruen
    In any case, if you have at least one of the Italian registration numbers of your car, you can quite easily retrace the history of your car from the first owner. That's what me and Giuliano from Rip911 did with Mike's (210hp) RS 2.7.

Ciao,
    Andrea
    And a great job they did for me.

(Andrea, I sent you an email)

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681