Thread: 18mm 930 Bar for Longballa

18mm 930 Bar for Longballa

Scott asked in a PM about my 930 front bar but his PM's are full. Sorry for the bandwidth but this may help others wondering about the suspension set up.

Currently running the 18mm 930 bar and the complimentary 930 rear bar.

I love the bars. Car rides flat and smooth.

The shop that installed the 2.5 and 915 for me mistakenly set it up for track. I have front and rear Elephants to install now and when I do it I'll re-adjust the rear ride heigth.

Problems:

Rear Shocks: probably resting on bump stops. They're probably set "Heavy" in the back (Koni's) and for street I like them full soft. It gives a firm Euro ride but keeps the fillings in place.

Ride Heigth: Currently too low in the back. Makes for a mean Blvd. cruiser look but, I want to enjoy driving it.

I plan to put in the Elephants and adjust the rear t-bars up a bit. I'd like a stock Euro ride heigth. Does anyone know the proper height for an RS as it left the factory? I've asked before but never received an answer. I'll leave some adjustment room on the (Sway-Away) arms for when I install the 3.0 MFI motor (2.5 will go in the 914-6).

I'm very happy with both the front and rear bars. I figured with the eventual 930/07 block and the 18mm bar up front the rear was a good choice as well.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any ride heigth figures as I'll be working on installing the Elephants soon... aslo, front, non-binding things? Weigh in please. Needed?

E.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

I've installed the 18MM 930 bar I got from Chris and I love it. I'm going to be putting in a 3.0 or 3.2 W/Carbs so I'll have a little more weight in the back. This car is a 70T. My car has S suspension and brakes already. Set at soft. I'm using the 15MM bar in the back and probably will go to the 18MM in the back also. I've heard that the rear bar should be the same if not smaller than the front? I want to keep it looking stock so will probably upgrade to the later 18MM factory bar. Has anyone else done this and how do you like it? I'm using the car for mainly street and little track. T-bars I believe are stock. I'm sure I'll do the Elephant thing. Tires are on Deep Sixes with 205 60 15's all around.

Eric,

Before I comment on anything you currently have, I'd strongly recommend that you do what you need to do to regain sufficient suspension travel.

Thats the prerequiste for ANYTHING one does to get the car to handle properly. If the suspension is bottoming out, your spring rates leap to infinity at that moment and that transforms your nice 911 into a park bench,...

Lastly, if you wish to run the car at a low ride height, you will need some different struts & shocks to allow that.

Hope this helps,
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer

I plan to put in the Elephants and adjust the rear t-bars up a bit. I'd like a stock Euro ride heigth. Does anyone know the proper height for an RS as it left the factory? I've asked before but never received an answer.
    The correct ride height is determined by measuring the height of the torsion bar centers, front and rear. This is the same for every torsion bar equipped 911, I think, except the raised bumper height US models of 1975 through the early 80s. To get the lower heights that Porsche used for the competition cars, you should raise the front spindle on the strut. The point is that the angle of the control arm and strut in front are critical to handling. Also, as Steve Weiner points out, there's not much advantage in eliminating suspension travel. Especially with rear travel eliminated, the car gets very hard to control, based on my (much less than Steve's) experience. I think that the RS's were set up the same as other models.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Maybe a Misunderstanding...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    there's not much advantage in eliminating suspension travel. Especially with rear travel eliminated, the car gets very hard to control, based on my (much less than Steve's) experience. I think that the RS's were set up the same as other models.
    Thanks for that... it seems there may be a misunderstanding;

I want to "raise" my ride heigth giving me more travel in the rear. It's currently set too low. I think it may be on the rubber snubbers (that's what it feels like) and I'm assuming they may have set the Koni's up full "Heavy". It "is" the park bench Steve mentions (in the rear).

I have the 18mm bar on my 911 and my 914-6/GT car.

The fronts have raised spindles. 18mm.

The rear has been set too low and I wanted to go back in myself and set everything to a standard Euro ride heigth or... if there was an RS setting I wanted to try that. It sounds like the RS setting is standard Euro which I can dig up. Something like 25" at the rear fender??

I have a new set of Elephants for the front and the rear. When they go on I want to set the ride heigth properly and adjust the shocks to my liking.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has any experience with Chuck's Low-Friction mounts please weigh in. My car is straight and I was wondering if these were a neccessity.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook