Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWB side trim measurements

Kenik,

I don't know about the widths, I just know my repro side trims are 25mm wide (metal part). My repros are very nice, I got them off Ebay from the guy who sells the repro carpet sets, forgot his name right now.

Mucho thanks to Allen for providing his measurements. I received some conflicting measurements from Ed Mayo. Allen's measurements seem to place the deco too low on the rocker at 18.5mm down, and Ed said 5/16" from the sill, which seems too high.

I think I will install so the metal is about 1cm or so below the sill, and also 1cm in front of the torsion hole indent. That seems to get it close. I'm sure the factory positioning varied a bit anyways on the production floor.......

Those '68 S trims sure leave a lot of holes, don't they! Luckily the top ones are covered by the skinny side trim, and the bottoms are in the "black" part, so they can be dabbed with some silicone and call it done.

Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter
    Those '68 S trims sure leave a lot of holes, don't they! Luckily the top ones are covered by the skinny side trim, and the bottoms are in the "black" part, so they can be dabbed with some silicone and call it done.

Thanks to all.
    Indeed they do and thank goodness you can.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Not sure if it is too late, but all the (both narrow and S ) trim I've seen is centered with the middle of the round torsion bar access cover.
    Aesthetically that is the logical placement.

Just did that switch from 68 trim to narrow myself.

And there is a gasket that goes between the trim and the car.
    I got my stuff at International Mercantile.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Quote Originally Posted by John Fusco
    Not sure if it is too late, but all the (both narrow and S ) trim I've seen is centered with the middle of the round torsion bar access cover.
    Aesthetically that is the logical placement.

Just did that switch from 68 trim to narrow myself.

And there is a gasket that goes between the trim and the car.
    I got my stuff at International Mercantile.
    Yes, and I rechecked mine (see above) and the measurments I gave Fritter should put my narrow trim exactly centered in the middle of the torsion bar access hole.

-Allen-

Yep guys, that is where mine ended up, basically centered with the torsion tube hole. The edge of the black lacing is about 11-12mm down from the sill.

This should be helpful to someone else if they do a search.