Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was the diagonal 911 script first used?

When was the diagonal 911 script first used?

I know that the 911 script on the engine lid wasn't used at first. I've read that none of the cars built in 64 originally had it. The way I've heard it, owners wanted people to know that they had a 911 and not a 912 so the factory began placing the diagonal script on the engine lid. I've read that it was common to fit the script to cars that originally didn't have it.

I would think that pictures from the day would be the only way to answer this. So, a question for people with lots of old magazines: when was the 911 script first placed on the cars?

Alan

OK, I guess I get to start this off.

I just got a copy of the April 1965 Christophorus. The cover is a pattern of front and rear views of 911s. There are no diagonal 911 scripts. The photos used could have been from long before April, and the issue probably went to press a month or two before, but I would think that this suggests that the scripts weren't used much before spring of 65. Comments?

Alan

The car I had was finished in march of 65 and had the script.....
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Thanks Tony,

The hard thing with this question is that many of the cars had the script fitted later on. Without an original paint car I think it would be very hard to tell if the holes for the script were factory or not. Anyone else?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B
    OK, I guess I get to start this off.

I just got a copy of the April 1965 Christophorus. The cover is a pattern of front and rear views of 911s. There are no diagonal 911 scripts. The photos used could have been from long before April, and the issue probably went to press a month or two before, but I would think that this suggests that the scripts weren't used much before spring of 65. Comments?

Alan
    Interesting question. I am sure David will be along here to chip into this debate as he has a very early car. Are you sure the chrispophorus cover shows only 911 models, could be 912 models (I have not seen the mag).

I can't remember seeing a 911 in the flesh without the script. Just shows you a new question pops up all the time. I wonder if restorers put on the script anyway cos they assume it should be there. I have seen a pic of Seinfelds slate grey car, the 'first' 901 which I could have sworn had the script and was restored at the factory I think. Must go look at the pics again.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Sure enough, Seinfeld car.......no script

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Brian Long's Book

Check Brian Longs book: factory pictures ONLY.

-page 37: 911 without script.
    text info states car was in march 1965 edition of Road&Track magazine.
    "Note the lack of model designation badge". It states this is a prototype of one of 255 cars&prototypes build by the Reutter factory in 1964.

-page 49:
    911 with script, 1965.
    Registry member No.773

Mine is April 1965, original paint on engine lid with script. Hope this helps.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Any more early factory pictures? So far it's not clear to me whether my 300839 car should have the script or not. My original decklid was replaced with a later SWB lid somewhere along the line and I'm wondering whether to drill those holes or not. I actually like the look without the script, but I'd go for the correct choice if there's convincing evidence.

I have the March R&T article, and they write that the car they tested was an early production model, so that's not a help. Anyone have Christopherus from the summer of 65?

Karim's observations from Long's book (ordered it today) suggest that the script wasn't used before the spring of 65.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've got Christophorus for 64, 65 and 66 so when I've got a mo I'll check and upload some pics.

From the way I understand it the 911 script was fitted with the launch of the 912 to distinguish the models. I'm sure it was fairly early in Jan/Feb 1965, but again I'll check. I'm certain your car would have had the badge.

The other thing is that I'm led to beleive there are three different versions of that badge, but I haven't had a chance to figure out which order they came in. Two kinds have different back pin spacing (important if you're re-drilling an engine cover) the third kind has a smooth area between the connections of 9-1-1 where the other two have a beaded texture area like 356 badging.

I'll check the library and report back!

Cheers
    David