Thread: 70 Transmission mount

70 Transmission mount

I'm new to 70's always have had 72's. Is it true that the only way to buy/upgrade the transmission mounts in a 70 is to buy the whole bracket w/mounts? Pelican sells this for $ 795.00! Is there any way to do a club sport or little stiffer mount? Not just solid. I can feel mine moving under hard shifts. I was probably going to go to the club sport motor mounts and or Wevo semi-solid for the engine. Thanks, -Scott

Regis turd ab user
    Scott:
    If you are planning to change motor mounts anyway, I would suggest doing that first and see the effect on movement vibration and noise. I installed Wevo motor mounts on my 71' (same as 70') and it's very compliant.

I still have rubber mounts at the transmission (same as 70') and from what I have read, changing or upgrading those to solid makes for more noise and vibration. not sure on a sport or semi solid application.

As far as changing out the trans mounts, not sure if there are shops that can or will do that, I have a very nice complete spare mount in case I need it.

David

Scott, the 70 911 transmission uses the same mount as early 911, it changed after 71 with the 915. The old mounts use rubber bonded to steel that are not replaceable unlike the 915 mounts so yes the whole bracket with mounts must be purchased if you want new. Also note the cross bracket from a 915 will not bolt to the bottom of your 911 trans. I suggest you check existing mount rubber and if deteriorated purchase a GOOD used 71-. There are plenty of good ones out there. The rubber in a good used one is VERY solid. I would concentrate on refurbing the shifter bushings and install club sport motor mounts.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    I think Wevo installs their mounts on early crossmembers. You send them the crossmember, and they do the rest.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

right.

Wevo has 2 stiffnesses - both very very stiff

he may want to convert a 915 mount to work... takes a little work

Hi,

I agree it is not possible to re-fit the old style Porsche bushes, but I have changed the bushes in plenty of those early gearbox mounting arms. Just push the old ones out and re-fit with new bushes, such as SuperPro. These aftermarket bush kits are the same even for the 915 box, which use the same size bush it is just that the entire bush and bush housing can be remove (ie just like the engine mounts).

HTH

Alan

Thanks for the info. I went to the Wevo website. Have any of you used the Wevo with the black pillows. Looks like that could work out nice. I don't mind a little more noise. Webbers are pretty loud anyway.

Wevo

I used the black pillows from WEVO for my 901 transmission mount. The shifting is now more defined through the gates. Less slop from the previous worn mounts. The gear shift does not transmit any vibration from the powertrain. It is not noisier. I think they were a good upgrade.

WEVO took 3 weeks to redo my existing mount and the end product looked great. I would recommend them. Richard at PMO also recommends them for carburetor cars.

Good luck.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Thanks Bert. I'm going to do it. -Scott