Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member, Re introduction

New Member, Re introduction

Hello again,
    My name is Scott. I finished inheriting my father's 1969 911S last November. He was the third owner of this car, and purchased it in 1987. I was a senior in high school at the time, the car is a year older than I am, ha ha. It was my Ferris Bueller car in the day, so close yet so far
    The car was parked in 1998, and stayed immobile for a decade, yikes! It wasn't preserved properly, and needs a lot of TLC. At least it has lived it's life in the Reno/ Lake Tahoe area, at least since 1981. We don't have a lot of humidity here. It actually drove under it's own power for 2 miles in January, beating the 5' storm to the garage. The mechanic said to wait until spring to see what the car will need. It needs to be driven to be diagnosed.
    Well, spring is here. It went back to the mechanic today. I took photos now that she is coming out of a long hibernation. I love this car, and plan to restore it. It has sentimental value as well. I think the old man would have loved to see the car hit the street again. I hope to be able to pick your brains for advice during the restoration. I'll be happy to pass on any info I learn along the way. Reading your posts over the last few months have been enlightening.
    Here are the before pics. Appreciate any insight.
    Best Regards,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Here are some engine shots

Additional pics of the cabin/ cockpit. Anyone know where to get new carpet and that vintage pleather? Dash needs to be re-covered as well. Anyone need a used Alpine tape deck, ha ha.

The rust issues. Look like light surface rust that can be taken care of with a bead blaster and some powder coating. What is the rubber sealant stuff that is used? Looks like I will need to replace the fuel tank as well.

Found tires without too much difficulty, Bridgestone Potenza's (V rated) in stock in a local shop. No longer stuck with trying to find the old Michelin's out of the UK, or the hard compound Riken's anymore. they are 195's, but the computer says it is less than a 2% variance to the car.

Got some shot's of the under carriage when it was on the tow truck.

Very cool keep it in the family
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

That sums it up. I look forward to this restoration project, it should be a lot of fun. After hearing the Jerry Seinfeld accident, all new brake components are on order: new calipers, rotors, linings, pads, and master cylinder. The guy working on it is familiar with working on the mechanical fuel injection. He did the routine maintenance from 1987 to 1998. We'll see how the engine runs with a tune up, and a few hours of run time. We'll see what the compression check shows as well. Then go from there. BTW, she's getting new paint (will remain signal yellow) and window gaskets next month.

Quote Originally Posted by 911quest
    Very cool keep it in the family
    Thanks Tony, nice to meet you.
    Scott

Nice. It will cost more and take more time than you think but it's worth every penny. Enjoy. Get some early Recaro sport seats for the Killer Tahoe roads you have. Sports seats make the whole car feel better. Great color and it's a S. I love it. -Scott