Thread: Is it necessary to seal a gas tank after cleaning?

Is it necessary to seal a gas tank after cleaning?

Hello,

The gas tank was out of my 65 when I bought her. The shop that cleaned the inside of the tank said that they have had some problems with tank coatings coming off and getting into the fuel system. I've read other problems of sealing baffles or small connections that shouldn't be sealed. Why not just clean the tank and not seal it? I've been told they came from the factory as bare metal inside.

The tank had some superficial internal rust but looks really solid.

Thanks,
    Alan

Depends on how they clean the tank some have methods of getting all the gunk out others actually cut the tank in half and then clean it these you can actually pick out cause they have an thick black coating all over them.I think the sealer is more of a saftey for the cleaning shop to cover there butts so the tank won't leak in the future. We have had good luck with th old chain method used to break up the major rust and muratic acid to destroy the varnish. We have done this on a couple of street cars and a few track cars with no problems.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

I don't think the early tanks had baffles.
    Do you have a TankRenu shop near you? Seems to me if you have the tank out you might as well do it proper and have it resealed or run the risk of having to chase clogged carbs/fuel delivery system. You could at least eliminate a dirty tank from the scenario with 100% certainty.
    The TankRenu guys specialize in bringing a tank back to spec and then some. It's approx $275 well spent for everything they do including blasting ext to bare metal, resealing and pressure testing for leaks.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

The guy working on my car gave me a dated magazine for a company called Mid America Motorworks, 2005. I called and left a message to get an updated magazine.
    They list a a new galvanized steel tank available for 911/ 912 from 65 to 72. Compatible with carburation or fuel injection. Lists for $269.99. The part number is 418-001. Sounds like a better deal with less headache at this price. I plan on calling on Monday to see if they are in stock.
    Their number is: (800) 500-1500. the website is: www.mamotorworks.com but all I find on the website is VW and Corvette stuff. When calling the number, they say they still list Porsche parts on the message.
    Any opinions on going new?

Quote Originally Posted by NV Stig
    The guy working on my car gave me a dated magazine for a company called Mid America Motorworks, 2005. I called and left a message to get an updated magazine.
    They list a a new galvanized steel tank available for 911/ 912 from 65 to 72. Compatible with carburation or fuel injection. Lists for $269.99. The part number is 418-001. Sounds like a better deal with less headache at this price. I plan on calling on Monday to see if they are in stock.
    Their number is: (800) 500-1500. the website is: www.mamotorworks.com but all I find on the website is VW and Corvette stuff. When calling the number, they say they still list Porsche parts on the message.
    Fit has been an issue with the repro tanks - seems to be hit or miss. Plus the vent tube sizes are different. The SWB tanks have a smaller vent tube. I have both tanks. The LWB tank was resealed and no issues which I just pulled from the car to install a correct SWB tank that I will be sending to TankRenu. All this work just to have the correct smaller vent tube.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the repro tanks are probably closer to $375.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

If I am not mistaken, Mid America Motorworks (used be know as Tweeks), no longer supports Porsches. Your best bet for the slick glossy catalog is Performance Products (http://www.performanceproducts.com/).
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks for the Automotion site, and the info on Gas tanks. Interesting news on fit and venting. I will let you know what I found out about Mid America Motorworks supporting Porsche. Another good site is www.drivewire.com
    I just got brakes through them last week.
    Scott

Harry,
    You were right. Mid American Motorwrorks are out of the Porsche game. They sent me to www.pelicanparts.com The phone number is 1(888) 280-7799. Has anyone dealt with these guys? Are they knowledgable, reputable and fair?
    They have some decent inventory. Their new gas tank is $399.95. That's a jump from $279.99. I will call and see if they get complaints on their fit. I'm not sure how bad my tank is after sitting for a decade, but I expect the worst.
    Scott

Harry,
    You were right. Mid American Motorwrorks are out of the Porsche game. They sent me to www.pelicanparts.com The phone number is 1(888) 280-7799. Has anyone dealt with these guys? Are they knowledgable, reputable and fair?
    They have some decent inventory. Their new gas tank is $399.95. That's a jump from $279.99. I will call and see if they get complaints on their fit. I'm not sure how bad my tank is after sitting for a decade, but I expect the worst.
    Scott
    Pelican is a primo place (at least in my book). The owner (Wayne dempsey) wrote a book "101 projects for your Porsche 911". Not only does he run a parts site, but for 911's, a great BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com). It is more slanted to the folks with SC's and 3.2 Carreras but great advice and support for all.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300