Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aux light switches

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

Aux light switches

what are you guys using for switches, for your ttg driving lamps, and hood mounted cibies? who is the manufacturer of the switch (ie bosch, hella etc)and also can you show pics, so i can see what i need to look out for? lastly, where did you locate them?

oh.. what kind of relays did you use and where did you get them?

thanks!!
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Harry,

I used a stock rear window defogger switch. You have to do a bit of re-wiring at the back of the switch to bridge two of the terminals. Also, it probably doesn't hurt to change the button icon.

Because I very rarely use the ttg lights, I got lazy and did not use a relay. On one of the cars, I have the original 1973 US spec 35 watt bulb lights. Turning them on has about the same effect as pointing the cigarette lighter down the center line. The 35 watt aux lights work best at illuminating the road between noon and 1 pm on a sunny day.

On an unrelated note, I finally finished the 69 912. If you would like to see pictures, send me an email address and I will forward them along to you. You still have your maroon 912?

John Meyer, Cincinnati
    Member #322
    73 S with sporto; 2.7 mfi 73 coupe; and 69 912, no longer in rehab

Hi John,

Yup, i stil have the 12, infact its the one thats getting the extra light treatment. thanks for the heads up on the rear window switch! do you know where to get new button icons? can you give me a little more info on what is needed as far as wiring (i dont have a rear window defoger or switch, so i would probably need to get a switch from parts heaven or the like).

for my through the grill lights, i currently use a black plastic toggle switch that came in a nos bosch fog light kit for vw's (above the bumper mount that is square), but i dont think that is correct by any means. Also, I am now putting on hood mounted cibies to go with the ttg lights, and since i now need two switches, i want to make sure i have a matching pair of correct switches.

glad to hear you finished the 12! who did the suspension work? I am looking to have that done, but dont have a shop in columbus that i know of that i can trust. I would love to see pics! You can email them to me at woodst699@aol.com.
    Harry Hoffman

For the hood lights I would use a switch like the one used for the rear wiper. In design its similar to the center dash switches(fog,rear defrost etc), but smaller and without rubber surround and lighting. It should be mounted to the right of the steering wheel. There is already a hole behind the dash trim. If you search this board you should find more info on this. The car I have seen, with Cibie Pallas hood lights factory installed, had the switch wired so that when activated the hood lights come on with the high beam. If the switch is not activated and you turn on the high beam they don’t come on. With this setup its not possible to turn on the hood lights by themselves or in combination with low beam. Remember the hood lights are very powerful and can take a 100W H1 bulb.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Harry,

I will send the 912 pictures when I get to the office.

Meantime, the part # for the real fog light switch is 901.613.503.20 and the button icon # is 901.552.831.00. I am not sure if either one is still available but I'm going by Beechmont P/A today and will ask. If you want to use the rear window defogger switch, as I did, I'll have to get into the car see how I wired the switch. Unfortunately, I don't think that I wrote down the wiring arrangement anywhere.

About the suspension work: I used Wright Tuning. They are on the East side of Cincinnati, by the Clermont County Airport. Another choice would be Bill Brocsic at Precision Alignment in Blue Ash (north suburb of Cincinnati). I understand that at one time Bill was involved with the Audi racing team.

John

Thanks john, i appreciate that!

will those guys replace bushings and all the parts, or will they only allign?
    Harry Hoffman

Either one should be able to do it all. If you're paying to change bushings, it is a bit of work. But if you have the time, you can do it your self and then let them align it. Have sent you pictures of 912 to woodst. You can see how I supported the car while I did the suspension work.

John

Thanks John! great pics, and that is an awesome dolly you have the car on there. can you emails some details of how you made it?

im not sure if that can work for me.. I have a space issue. but it might be worth a shot to save cash!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Harry Hoffman

Nothing fancy on the dolly. Just four 4x6 sections held together with long carriage bolts that also hold the casters. The rubber tired casters came from a vendor here in Cincinnati that says each castor is supposed to be good to hold 800 pounds each. The rig has worked for over ten years. On top of the 4x6's I have a pair of 2x6 boards with some left over carpet to protect the underside.

If you'd like to come down to Cincinnati and borrow it, you can use it until I need it to take the Targa apart for painting next year. That way I do not have to unbolt it and store it.

Do you plan to be at either the Taj or Porsches to Oxford this summer? I'd like some right seat time in your car to compare against my 912. It's been 37 years since I've driven a 69 912 and I have no idea if the car is right yet.

John

sounds good! I am more than happy to give you a ride in mine. You can even get some left seat time if you'd like, to get a real comparison.

the suspension is not the best, so yours is probably far and above mine in the ride comparison. The engine though, should be able to be a good comparison. my motor is not stock, but is fairly mild with, so there shouldnt be a huge difference motor wise. I have a 288* cam, a 1720 shasta pistons and cylinders (made by JE Pistons), stock heads, stock valves, 050 distributor, and harry bieker remanufactured solexes with stock aircleaners (the stock air cleaners have shown to do better on the dyno than k&n's). I also have a full flow oil filter and aluminum oil cooler, but those are for efficency, and not hp. Oh... i also have a flowmaster exhaust on there, which has much less back preassure, and i notice a small amount of less torque on the low end, but the upper range is much freeer. still, its not a night and day difference from a stock 912 motor, just slightly. What is your motor's specs?

I would love to borrow the dolly, if youre offering!

P2O takes place the same weekend as the 912 rendezvous in San Luis Obispo, California. I plan on being in california that week for the 'vous, as i have made that an annual ritual (i usually drive out for it, but this year i will fly). If my plans change I will be at p2o. unfortunitly they always happen on teh same weekend, so i havent had a chance to go to p2o yet.

I will be at the Taj event. That one is an annual right for me, and i always attend.
    Harry Hoffman