Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 911S on Ebay

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

1969 911S on Ebay

I have reluctantly put my 1969 911S up for sale on Ebay. It is item # 270229200499. I have had it for about four years and have been gradually restoring it and modifying it to my personal perferences. It is a matching numbers car which, because of my own personal perferences, has been switched to PMO carbs, RS door panels, etc. But my son has entered college this year at Temple University and I need the money to pay his expenses. I would like to sell one of my other cars instead, 1981 911SC and 1976 914 2.0, but they would not bring as much money. I would be interested in opinions as to what the users of this forum think this car is worth. As I mentioned, it is a matching numbers car but is not in original condition. It is rust-free and paint is in excellent condition. The transmission has been rebuilt be my Porsche guru. The engine was rebuilt by me using Wayne's rebuilding book (I still have a couple of final steps to complete since I am a very slow worker). I want to sell it without the 40mm PMOs (I want to put them on my SC), interior door panels are not included, and, at present there is not a passengers seat. The drivers sears is a houndstooth GTS seat. It is a California car that briefly went to Florida and then to me here in Philadelphia. A more complete description is given on Ebay.

Cheers, Don in Philly

Don,
    I admit I am not the expert that many on the site are but my gut feeling is you are looking at a low wholesale number the way you currently have it offered. You have given an accurate upfront picture but it's not a pretty one. Put it back together, get it running right or pay someone to do that for you. It is probably worth less than you paid for it in it's current state.
    A non running rebuilt engine would make me want to take the time and effort to open it back up and see how well it was done. You sold off valuable parts that now some one has to replace. Fix it and you will likely get a realistic sales price or cut you losses and move on. Can't give a value but that's my feeling on the situation. I know it was before your ownership but why anyone would change from tangerine to white is beyond me too.

Daron

Don, I agree with Daron. You need to get it sorted a little more or I think you'll suffer quite a bit on price. MFI is important on these cars, and maybe original color to some buyers. If MFI is not an option I'd get the PMO's on there and make it a running car. You'll reagain the cost of those easily by simply having a running car, and PMO's are a nice carb.

I'm no expert on price, but there are three very nice matching number 69 S's that were bid up on Ebay recently in the registry's "Ebay sales history thread 911S". One I poseted below, another is the green one. Both had MFI and I think were original color. These seem to be very reasonable prices for an early S, so I wonder if the 69 is maybe the least desirable of the early S's or there were just no buyers at the time?? I can't imagine seeing a 72 or 73 as nice as these only bid to 35K, but there you have it. Again, no expert here.

Year: 1969
    VIN: 119300123
    Winning bid: See notes
    Auction end date: Jan-15-08
    Notes: Reserve not met at US $35,100.00

"911S 2.0-liter USA Spec. Electric Sunroof Coupe with all matching numbers per CoA from Porsche. Original colors Burgundy Red/Black leather, a true survivor with 170hp 2.0-liter MFI. All service records from the last 30 years, Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. Very rare car with mostly original paint and interior (with the exception of new leather seats). Very genuine/honest example that is fully optioned "911S" includes factory electric sunroof, rear window defroster, rear wiper, gas heater, tool kit, safe aid kit, records and owners manual. A spectacular "S"!!!"
    Attached Images
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input. I can't do anything about the color. There is an MFI system on sale on Ebay for $1,850.00 that I could buy and install but I not sure if I want to do that. The car has sold to a guy from France who wants to pick it up and drive it to New York and then ship it to France. I told him I thought it was a bad idea and he should just should from here (Philly). I am having my mechanic check my rebuild and make the last few tweaks before the guy picks it up. If the guy backs out I will put it up for sale again but it will be running with PMOs.

Cheers, Don

Hi Don,
    i know someone who could easily ship it securely to France

Hi Don

let me know if the guy from France falls through.
    I put a bid in on ebay but got beat.

69s

don- did you sell the car, to the french buyer. if not please contact me.
    thanks,
    mistermlr@aol.com

The guy from France sent me the deposit but was supposed to have paid the rest by last Wednesday. He said he wired me the money but it is Friday and has not come. He says it just takes time because French bankers take a lot of holidays! So I don't know whether it is sold at this point.

Regards, Don

The holiday is big; I am not holding my breath in regards to seeing a wire to me from Germany anytime before late next week, if that. Be patient. If in two weeks there's nomoney, then it is time to reassess.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I just got back from my mechanic's place (Bob Fox's German Car Service of Ambler, PA). He said I had the cam timing off on one side and a rocker arm was stuck. He said there were a number of little things that weren't quite right that he noticed as well. Overall he said I did a good job but since he has been rebuilding Porsche engines for over 50 years he's not surprised that he came across a few things. He estimated he could finish in about a week and the cost would be a couple thousand.
    The car sold on Ebay for $29k. But, of course, I think its worth a lot more than that. I paid $36k for the car four years ago. Yes, I sold the MFI and the door panels to help finance the rebuild. But the engine has been rebuilt, my rebuild mistakes will have been fixed, the transmission has been rebuilt, and there is a GTS houndtooth seat that I believe cost around $1,100. Since the money has not arrived, I feel I can entertain other offers if anyone is willing to make an offer in the $34k or above range.

Cheers, Don