Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Porsche Signs

Wink Vintage Porsche Signs

They seem to be quite rare, although they must exist out there. I rarely see them on ebay or at Swap meets.

If you have some, please post them here, so we can see the range that was produced:

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Milou attached a picture of mine Porsche sign. It looks like the first picture that you posted however mine is enamel. If you look at the colors you notice the difference, the one shown is a later painted sign. Mine was bought at the factory in 1959 when the PCA group went there collecting their tourist delivery cars. I do not know anything about the rarity, I paid $30 for it 3 years ago at the Lit meet but it's slightly damaged from hanging.

The large plastic sign you can come across more often. I saw one on eBay the other day for $100/ BIN $150

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Richard's sign is believed to be the first example of public signage used. it probably dates from the mid-50s. please note the gold leaf in the field of the horns and the 3-tone grey border (intended to give the piece a 3-D effect) i won't comment on specific numbers, but this changed hands and a great bargain.
    if the first sign pictured in Milou's post is the same size as Richard's (~ 18" tall x 15" wide) it is believed to be the second version of the same sign. probably made during the early 60's. please note the differences in the 2 areas noted above. considered to be a "Hoffman era" piece. the last version of this one was done in the same style except it was "domed", or raised in the center and probably dates to the introduction of the 900 series cars. these signs appear in the Advertising Articles catalogs of the period and are listed as late as '68. they do not appear in the '69 AA price list.
    my contribution was originally mounted on the roof of the Fleischauer dealership in Koln, now Porsche Zentrum, probably taken down in the mid-70s to make way for a lighted sign.
    cheers
    jerry

please note the gold leaf in the field of the horns and the 3-tone grey border (intended to give the piece a 3-D effect)
    I look at my sign a couple of times a day and I never noticed the 3-tone

Thanks for your input Jerry.

BTW one more question. The big plastic piece that Milou has posted a picture from, from which era is that?

Richard

now w/ pic

once more with feeling?

According to the car dealer, the sign in the backround has been on the wall since my Tangerine 2.2l was sold in this very same dealership on July 1st. 1971...

click to larger photo size
    Registry member No.773

Wink Great signs!

These are great! Thanks. Didn't they make luminous ones in the Sixties and Seventies? I have old signs from Gulf and Dunlop and thought Porsche would have done the same.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Registry member No.773

this one was from a Porsche USA dealer. Don't know which one. But it is proudly mounted in my father garage!
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

AMAZING photos Alex, do you have more? those 356 rule, the burgundy one is lovely
    Human.. All too human