Thread: New Guy Matching numbers?

New Guy Matching numbers?

Hi, I am new here so please be patient if this is a bad question. I know all forums have their own vibe that takes some time to fit in.

Anyway, I am seriously into American Hot Rods and have built just about everything. The question I have is in regards to engine numbers. I have done the Vette thing and the #'s question is probably the #1 item to consider in a purchase. Probably the reason I will never buy another as it is just crazy how far they go.

I am looking for a nice orig car but have found a few with the cases that have been swapped. Is the numbers as big a deal in the Porsche world as in US Muscle cars? Does a very original car with no other mods but the cases kill the deal for the serious buyer? I don't want to be the guy who just spent $50k on the hot pink Pro Street Camaro thinking it was a good deal only to be laughed at by the serious collector.

Are the cases on 70-73S engines that fragile? Could it actualy be an asset to have an upgraded case if car is to be driven as it was intended?

Thanks, Brian

Restoration newbie.
    All the engines came out of the same factory. I think the value in having
    a numbers matching car is in knowing that the car wasn't driven so hard
    that the engine was blown to an unrepairable state. Also you know the
    miles on the car is the same as the miles on the engine.

The 7R mag cases as used on the 72/73 cars are known to be strong.
    Early mag cases perhaps not so much but they can be modified with
    shuffle pins to be stiffer.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It seems that the more the prices the go up, the more the Porsche's are seen as an investment and the more people care about details like matching numbers and original parts. If you plan to sink a lot into your future Porsche than it might be wiser to start w/ a number matching car. If you just want to play w/ it than just try to find a good solid car that you can have fun w/.

just my $.02

Richard