Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kendall oil is back

Kendall oil is back

I was flipping through the March 08 issue of Motor Age at the shop and came across an interesting ad. ConocoPhillips lubricants states that '76' 20W-50 high performance oil and Kendall GT-1 20W-50 are now being reformulated with higher levels of ZDDP than had even been used previously, 1200ppm. They had recognized that the older engines, and new high performance flat tappet engines didn't have sufficient protection against rapid cam and lifter wear.

So now I can keep using my old standby Kendall!
    For info visit www.kendallmotoroil.com
    Maybe ol 'Big Daddy' hisself got on their case!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

That's good news.....

The 20W-50 Kendall I've been getting lately is SL rated.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Ya'know Ed,

After using, and touting their product for over 30 years, then having them pull that stunt when they were bought by Conoco, changed the color, CHANGED the oil ... and didn't own up to any of it...

Then having Brad Penn take over the old Kendall refinery and develop the OLD oil on their own........

I might be a hard ass, but to me, they just might not deserve a second chance.....

…….. Will see
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Amen ^2!

Always wondered why some folks need 3 strikes to prove they didn't deserve the second.

johnt

IMHO,..Until VOA's are performed on the "new" Kendall GT-1 to make some comparisons, I'll continute to use Brad-Penn.

Several years ago before this bruhaha all began, I called Kendall to ask them why their GT-1 oil was no longer green in color and if it was the exact same product as before (pre-2000). Two individuals at that company told me nothing had changed except for the color. Now, I know differently as the product and its formulation changed in 1997.

Two things make Brad-Penn & the original Kendall oil unique: the source of their base stocks and the additive package. Having used the GT-1 (and now called Brad-Penn) since 1968 in all manners of street and race cars including an RSR and 935, I'll use what I know to work very well without less than credible creative marketing.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Steve,

I did the exact same thing....
    I talked to a customer rep on the phone for 20 mins. having her 'swear' that all was, not only OK, but BETTER then before...and I used their 'product' for another 6 years....

When motorheads use, and are are used to, a 'standard' forever... and then get hosed... feelings die hard

... will see
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hey Chuck,

I hate being patronized and thats precisely what the folks at Kendall did. IMHO, misrepresenting a product in that fashion is patently dishonest and I'll not subsidize a company with such practices.

This morning I noted that ConocoPhillips profits grew 17% this past quarter so they don't need my business.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Has anyone looked into Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil? The bottle states "ashless anti-wear additives and ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection".
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Smith
    Has anyone looked into Valvoline VR1 20-50 racing oil? The bottle states "ashless anti-wear additives and ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection".
    Bobby
    Bobby,

Last year, Valvoline reformulated their VR1 line. The stuff you now buy is all API-SM rated and doesn't contain sufficient ZDDP any longer for the 911 engines.

They do make a Non Street Legal VR1 that contains lots of ZDDP but very little detergents and this is made specifically for racers. This requires oil changes after each weekend.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Last year, Valvoline reformulated their VR1 line. The stuff you now buy is all API-SM rated and doesn't contain sufficient ZDDP any longer for the 911 engines.

They do make a Non Street Legal VR1 that contains lots of ZDDP but very little detergents and this is made specifically for racers. This requires oil changes after each weekend.

Thanks, so what off the shelf oil should we run? I prefer non-syn if possible.
    Bobby