Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportomatic.org

Sportomatic.org

Original post.....
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.

I would like to hook up a "hard hitting" GM "Turbo 400" in front of a torquey Turbo motor...

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

It might be worth posting on the bird board, there's still a few die-hards out there
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

It's sorely needed

I'd like to see someone take it over. There is a dearth of info on Sporto maintenance, repair and modification online - maybe in general?

I've been looking for a Sporto coupe for the past couple of years and just recently passed on one due to a lack of available details and receipts for the car. (That's not to say all may have been fine; I just didn't get a warm fuzzy from it.) I sense a growing interest in keeping these cars in their original drivetrain configuration; whether due to personal interests or to the historical significance of the technology, I can't say.

I can say that I think any and all Sporto expertise needs to be captured somewhere, be it here, sportomatic.org or in a wiki on the bird board. If more of it was available, I know I'd be a bit less reluctant to pull the trigger on one of these cars.

What would something like this entail? Some tech wizard? Chuck Miller's siemese twin....
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

This is definitely the message board to request the help from our readers and contributors to try to keep and maintain Sportomatic.org if that desire exists.

I think it would be great if one of our contributors would take on this noble effort...

However this board has it's collective hands full with just keeping up with what's going on around here....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Willing to help as best I can

Quoting myself may be bad form, so I won't.

I finally bought an early Sporto car this week. I will be happy to lend whatever help I can to preserving sportomatic.org. I am not a web designer but have done freelance automotive and sports writing in the past; I was also editor of a regional chapter newsletter for another single-marque club for four years. So I can write a little and I have a little desktop publishing experience - enough of each to be dangerous.

I think it would be beneficial to actively develop a Sporto registry which would by defintion extend to include those mid-year and newer 911s and the handful of 914s so equipped. Given that, sportomatic.org probably should be independent of this board, even if the majority of Sporto-equipped cars in existence were built between 1968-73.

On that note, now that I have an early car (albeit a T) I'm ready to pony up and become a paying member of this site...but that's a topic for another thread.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    I think it would be beneficial to actively develop a Sporto registry which would by definition extend to include those mid-year and newer 911s and the handful of 914s so equipped.
    A fair amount of research has been done on the 914/6 sportos. Probably about 25 of them were made. A lot of the prep work was done on the 914/4 sporto, a prototype was probably made, but no serial production cars as far as we know.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post

i finally bought an early sporto car this week.

On that note, now that i have an early car (albeit a t) i'm ready to pony up and become a paying member of this site...but that's a topic for another thread.

ed
    Finally!!!!! Phila area chapter has grown by 1.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Guys,
    I would be happy to help out with articles, but I am not qualified to take over management of a website. Being a Luddite of the first order I pretty much operate under the theory that when it comes to computers: "Change was good when it first started, but it's been going on for much too long now".

Put me down as a definate in the support column. I am always happy to exchange experiences and information or help out as peon if there is adult leadership.

John
    73 S coupe with sporto
    (plus all the sporto parts from a Sporto 73 E I parted out to support my sporto S)