Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory air conditioning/Restoration

Factory air conditioning/Restoration

Original post......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:22 AM.

I have factory AC in my '73. The vents look kind of similar, but in my car, I have the stock ashtray instead of the nicely integrated one pictured.

Edit: Actually check out the vents for sale here
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

My car has factory Air Conditioning. It has a front mounted condenser that includes a fan that blows air through it. The body has to be modified for the fan. The factory air conditioner has a turn nob on both sides of the ash tray. Also I have the original window sticker and it shows the AC with a factory code. I will soon be upgrading the hoses to the barrier type. There is at lease one make of dealer added air conditioner. I believe that it does not have a front mounted condenser.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

That is a factory Behr Air Conditioner evaporator. You should have a condenser under the front trunk area and one in the grill above the engine. Originally there was a York compressor mounted on the passenger side of the engine.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone making a retro fit AC kit to add air to a early 911? My car is like a oven here in Maryland in the summer.
    Rob Abbott

factory air

Here`s what my factory air vents look like in my 73E and what the condensor and lines look like in the engine area.Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

Vents

In the last 4 years of studying the factory A/c systems for early 911s, I have never seen the one in the first picture. I do recognize that the individual vents are identical to the ones in my setup, but it is a separate piece under the knee pads (as all other factory units were that I have seen). The one in this photo is integrated as one piece, and I must say looks damn good. Was this a custom setup????

Olin
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Don't think it's custom, see this website:
    http://members.aol.com/porshalaka/De...iterature.html

It looks like it was featured in the 1969 options book...great site, by the way.
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

The AC in post #1 is dealer-installed. The AC in post #8 is the factory-installed. It looks like it should be the opposite, doesn't it?

(If I'm wrong, of course, I hope someone will correct me.)

Factory AC also has the front cut-out for the condenser and blower. The dealer AC is often characterized by some vicious hole-punching in and around the sheet metal of the smuggler's trunk.

As I understand it, it was cheaper for Porsche to ship the cars and the (dealer-installed) AC components to the United States separately, because of import tariff laws in the seventies. But that might be wrong, too.

Correct on all counts.

Here is one example of vicious hole cutting. The one for the evaporator was even worse.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111