Thread: Bureau of Auto Repair Engine ID Sticker???

Bureau of Auto Repair Engine ID Sticker???

This pic is from a '68 912 on ebay. Can someone please explain the purpose? I am assuming it has to do with registering a non-stock engine but why was this required and when did they stop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Engine Swap?

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...uidelines.html

Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes – not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti–tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thank you Tom!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Also: I don't know when they stopped the practice, but in the old days the engine number WAS the VIN. When I lived in CA I once tried to get my VIN changed from the engine number to the chassis number and they wouldn't do it.

Does anyone happen to know when these Bureau of Automotive Repair stickers were used? My euro 1968 911L targa was imported to the states and spent some time in California. The sticker has the last part of the SN, 60141, and the site marked as 11. It is difficult to read the other numbers. I assume it was removed and reapplied when the color was changed from tangerine to black.

Name:  IMAG0699.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  76.7 KB

Any help is appreciated.

I have one of these as well.