Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct 67 rally seat details

Correct 67 rally seat details

I am in the process of redoing my Recaro rally seats (non head rest type) and wonder what is the correct layout. I am thinking of basket weave middle section and perforated side trim. Were the sides perforated or plain in 67? Was the black corduroy available as well in 67?
    Thanks for any help.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Restoration newbie.
    Mine have perforated side trim. The look to be original (although that's
    what I said about the leather shift boot too).

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are you refering to the glass bucket seat or regular sport seats..

Robert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Haven't seen a bucket with perforated bolsters that I can remember... inserts in basketweave, houndstooth, or cord for either sport or bucket. I've got an original sport seat with perforations.

E

This is Rolly's car with early buckets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Rolly's seats have been recovered.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Yeah Randy, they look a bit fresher than the rest of the car. Still, there they are and they look damn good.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Thanks very much for the replies. My seats are the same style like Jens ones. I would like to do them the same way: perforated sides and basket weave inserts. I am not sure about the originality of the perforated sides:

One is plain and one perforated, both seems to be original. The one with 4 holes in a row at the back might be older than the one with three holes.
    But I like basket weave more, because I think it goes better with the basket weave dashboard of my 67S. My trimmer recommends corduroy because of the seating quality, but I think I would have then 3 different styles in the car: basket weave at the dashboard, corduroy on the seats and plain vinyl on the rear seats.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

My seats are just like the last picture in the previous post. Three grommet backs and have plain vinyl bolsters with basketweave inserts - unrestored and in excellent condition. They do have headrests, so could be a later version than 67 style.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Great to see all these pics of rally buckets!! And good to see some original seats in perforated bolsters, that's new for me.

Michael, I "know" that your seats are original upholstery, or at least very certain. Do you see the plastic rivets holding the fabric to the fiberglass shell? Recaro used a "clear" plastic rivet for that process, I've never seen it anyplace except for on what would be considered an original seat, and I've never seen them on a recovered seat.

regards,
    Eric