Thread: Undercoating?

Undercoating?

Hey guys, I'm still working on my project but it comes to the idea of engine bay and trunk (question thanks to Bob Tilton's post) would you paint it black as it should be with undercoating or without... Or paint it body coloured with or without undercoating?

I'm leaving the car right now AS IS but maybe I'll try some Lightweight things that can be removable..

P.S. the car is a really early 1970

What would you do? I'm seeking perfection

Thanks everyone,
    John
    Human.. All too human

So many questions, so few answers....

Engine compartment?

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're thinking about using undercoat in the engine compartment. This, to the best of my knowledge, would not be appropriate. The engine compartment is smooth from the tins on up. Below the rubber seal at the edge of the tins, you can apply undercoat to the exposed chasis.

Anyone else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

The correct way to do the 1970 trunk is, primer, undercoating, extrernal paint and lastly brushed on satin black. The undercoating is far up the sides of the engine bay. I will post a picture of the original undercoating of my 1971 911S. You can see that a lot of washing has removed some of the satin black and exposed the external color on top of the undercoating. You can also see that the undercoating has been sprayed on thick all the way up to the edge of the engine lid opening. The yellow crap on the wall between the engine room and the backseat is just glue that attached the sound deadening mat.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

So many questions, so few answers....

Zith's pictures are 1005 correct. My mistake!

It has been so long since I stripped mine out I had forgetten what I removed. I should know better than to trust muy memory. As they say, it is the second thing to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Zithlord is right about the engine compartment. THe front trunk was primer with some body color accidentally sprayed for effect. It looks like crap, but it is correct. Probably won't will you any concourse points though.

In the picture below the car was originally Sepia Brown. We didn't paint the trunk because of time constraints (for a race). You really can't see it too well in the picture but the brown on the inner fenders is thin and feather/tapers off till there in virtually no brown paint at the center. This trunk is clean; it really looks this crappy.

The front trunk also have undercoating. Liberaly in the lower parts and thinner towards the top of the sides and the top part behind the gas tank(towards the driver). As Brick says, the bodycolor is sprayed on top of the undercoating but thin/dusty towards the top of the sides and around the smugler box/air ventilation system. All the yellow area has undercoating as described above, and this is an original front trunk before I restored it(and the gas tank)

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

John - great illustration and helpful to my current project! TX!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

No prob Bob!

If anyone needs more pictures, I have loads I can send to you.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

great photos everyone..

I had in mind to do it as this.

No undercoating, all satin black

What do you think it would be?

Also the engine bay? Satin black, no undercoating