Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another S valuation question

Another S valuation question

I am curious what people think the hit to valuation is for an S Targa that has a non matching but correct year S motor. Car is excellent and this is the only issue I can find. I can live the non-matching motor.
    Thanks,
    Phil

-10% IMO, no more.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I am a little surprised I would thought 10-15K for a top end car, which actually these days might be 10K.
    Thanks,
    Phil

My 1973 911S was sold 20% under marketprice in Norway because of correct year S engine case but not matching #. The engine was rebuilt to RS spec incl. the MFI pump.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I think it has a potential wide range....

Is the car extremely well done other than the engine #? Then it's minimal.

Is it a hotrod? Again, minimal if the car is done well.

It also depends on the buyer....some care more than others, and partly for the above reasons.

Also can depend on who built the engine etc.

Could be 5% to 20%...., and I've seen a few cars that wouldn't appear to have any difference as the car was done so well.

E

Case study at the top end

The red Carplanet softie sold for $114,900, Eade's I believe was $121,000 and FG's Green Softie sold for $80,000. All were beautiful cars commanding premium dollars. There were a few differences in the cars. Originality vs. high level restoration of a non-matching vs. high level restoration of a matching. All cars were well documented. FG's car sold at a roughly 30% to 35% discount to Carplanet's and Eades. IMO a large part of the discount was due to the fact that the car was non-matching on a premium car [concours].

In this case the cost of non-matching appears to be high.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I'll post more information and post again. Car apprears to be very nicely put together. A couple a little details here and there which always make you wonder about everything. Almost all parts used for resto were new factory parts.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Another interesting comparision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

This car is a non-matching car that IMO sold at the high end of values [European] for a car considered driver quality. It doesn't appear to have lost any value. This was a very nice car that was well presented by the seller.

Phil,
    One day you are going to have to explain your ability for finding these. The Conda T was a beauty that I still kick myself for not reacting to.
    Luke
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

This car is a non-matching car that IMO sold at the high end of values [European] for a car considered driver quality. It doesn't appear to have lost any value. This was a very nice car that was well presented by the seller.

Phil,
    One day you are going to have to explain your ability for finding these. The Conda T was a beauty that I still kick myself for not reacting to.
    Luke
    This car also discussed here...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=18179
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

old softie67S

Macroni read my mind

I was reading the thread and as I did I was thinking of Franks softie selling at 80k. Macroni must have been reading my mind. I would have writen that post if he hadn't. I saw Frank's car and it was a very nice example. The only shortcoming I recall were the non matching engine number, incorrect lug nuts and the sport seats were modern repros. The lugs are an obvious non factor, the seats are maybe a $2500 issue. I do not think the color combination had any real bearing on the price either plus or minus. I was a little surprised it sold for as large a discount to the other 2 cars mentioned. Either the non matching # hammered the value, or the 2 people who had the major league hots for a swb S soft window had already found their rides and being the third one in was simply poor timing.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)